local_co-ords

3__

I assume you're talking about in SOPs ; can you tell me what is the local axis of a bunch of polygons? Primitives and poylgons are just points in space without their own transforms, so a local axis couldn't exist, right?

Am I understanding you wrong?

(In objects, use the Objects tool and not the Transform tool.)

I think cpb mean _coords_in_object_creation_moment_.

For example. Create a box, rotate them. Axises must be located in box edges directions. Then modify the box by Edit SOP and after that apply Transform SOP. You will see what new axises not collinear to old axises. But in many cases very usefull to have that "saved" old axises (and they we can call as "local" axises for any geometry).

Please try this short example, maybe its what you want to achieve

Lay down a sphere sop and set it to Mesh,

append a convert sop

append a facet sop and set it to unique points

and finally append a primitive sop and put these expressions into the rotation params

and hit play

explodematrix(rotaxis($F-1,cross(vector3(0,1,0),vector3($NX,$NY,$NZ))),"SRT","XYZ","RX")

explodematrix(rotaxis($F-1,cross(vector3(0,1,0),vector3($NX,$NY,$NZ))),"SRT","XYZ","RY")

explodematrix(rotaxis($F-1,cross(vector3(0,1,0),vector3($NX,$NY,$NZ))),"SRT","XYZ","RZ")

Hope this helps

Achim

PS: Credits for those expression go to Frank Firsching

The local co-ords for a face, for example are

inferred from the face normal and its first 2 edges.

I'm not entirely sure exactly how max does this as the

results can be a little random from one face to another.

Achim's code example is is not quite what I had in mind,

as can be demonstrated by inserting a transform in-between the

facet and primitive and rotating the sphere 45 degrees on

its Z axis before playing.

so I guess the short of it is: no houdini doesn't really do local

transformations.

-cpb

I have been all maxed up so what is it you are really trying to achieve? Explain it in max terms and I will have a shot at translating it.

If you are talking about using local coordinates for vets or faces the only use full direction is Z the same as the normal, because the rest are unpredictable. I am looking at a teapot now with local coordinates turned on and I would only use the Z axes the rest are screwed.

When max dose this on one face it is ok because it ends up being in line with the sides of the faces. But have it work on more than one face or vertex and they end up solved differently and X from one face to the other has no relationship.

Z is the normal direction, so verbally how would you describe how you would have X aliened? X is the up vector. Where do you point the up vector?!

Houdini has some hope as making it better just because you can insert more logic and maybe even an up vector based on curvature. [An idea forming of a tool I could have a go at making, which would distract me from what I am trying to do at the moment]

It should be pointed out that in max, z is the vertical axis, and x & y are horizontal. Don't ask me why.

I haven't used max in a while, but if I remember correctly, when in local selection mode, if you select more than one face/point/edge you get multiple transform handles, one for each selection. And I think the handle then automatically aligns to the normal for the z-axis, but I'm not sure how the x and y axis are oriented.