Trying to learn houdini

Hey guys, I'm new to odforce and i heard that you guys are a great community for houdini users. So with that being said, can you guys help me find some good tutorials to learn houdini? i have been messing with maya for a couple of months now and i like it but i want to create dynamics and particle simulations using houdini.. I've seen what it can do and i heard of its power and i would like to really learn this program and be able to use it very well.. i would probably mainly use it for creating visual effects like fire, water, destruction, smoke, explosions, maybe crowd simulations and ect. 

thanks guys

Edited by afrosamurai2583

For people just starting I would recommend Peter Quint's vimeo page

As advice to someone who is just starting I would recommend that you do not try to tackle every aspect at once, look at specific tools in specific contexts a little bit at a time. I can't tell you how often I have had maya people ask for a 'general overview' of houdini and I just laugh.

-N

Edited by narbuckl

I think you should start with your passion, something you're interested in that's going to drive your first project. Do you love cars, guns, airplanes, flowers? Try to model them. Do you dream of a giant earthquake? Build a block tower and knock it down. Do you have other artwork in different mediums? Try to recreate that subject matter in Houdini. No goal is too lofty. You may not reach it quickly, but the pursuit of it will teach you enough fluency that you can absorb more advanced tutorials for their own sake.

Good luck!

Hey guys I've been trying to understand houdini and its very complicated. I want to learn it and understand it but like i said its very complicated.. thank you all for the great resources. Where do you guys think i should start?

I'm still learning but what made it way, way easier was a few classes in Linear Algebra. Also programming - doesn't matter what language - it's getting used to the way of thinking that helped. I remember being super scared of the foreach sop or the sop solver - at least they make sense now.