Learning VEX via Animated Gifs - Bees & Bombs

mestela

Ha no, sorry that came across like that, I haven't cracked it at all. I tried to recreate it in Python in another application, but i found that it's actually a pretty tricky look and feel to achieve! That flowing ripple movement is killer.

I saw this thread and thought it may be a good time to have another go at it, or if anyone else fancied a crack at it?

I'll post my attempts if I get anywhere with it :)

Here is my attempt to the crazy box.

Unfortunately I have no programming background and I was not really able to build the vex code by my own (for now) but I remembered a tutorial on vimeo about plexus and I used this code. 

I think the timing of the noise is "wrong" compared to the original and the noise itself looks a bit different.

Anyway....

Edit: the noise Value is a key frame animation. I do not like that. Maybe someone has a better solution for that.

kind regards

Jon

crazy_box_01.hipnc

post-12840-0-25074500-1452342087_thumb.g

Edited by jon3de
  • Like 1

Keyframing is cheating. ;)

Nah its fine, but I've had a few cases where its been handy to know how to generate different types of looping motion. A sine wave is the obvious starting point, but then you realise you need a sawtooth wave or triangle waves, or a sawtooth for 1 second, then hold for 3 seconds, or smoothed versions of those curves... 

Here I've mapped @P.y based on @P.x, but in my gif scenes it'd be @P.y based on @Time, or whatever thing I need to loop in a certain fashion. Nothing clever about it, largely comes from rambly internal monologue like 'ok, time is increasing constantly, so what if i modulo it by 4... and what if I clamp that between 0 and 1... and smooth it... right, thats working... oh wait, what if I wrap that in a pow(), then add it to sin(@Time)', and so on.

looping_time_examples.hipnc

Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 1.11.15 am.png

(edit)

For completeness and efficiency, a much easier way that I talk about in that webinar is a trick I got from Matt Ebb; just use a channel ramp driven by @Time%1 (or whatever time interval you need), way easier and more intuitive.

waveforms_chramp.gif

• Like 4

Wow thank you. With the help of your examples I created a amplitude attribute ( f@amp=clamp(sin((@Frame+60)*0.05),-0.6,0); )  that is used by the turbulance noise.It works great. No cheating anymore   ^_^

What suprised me was that the attribvop with the noise immediately considered the "amp" attribute as the new Value...although there was no "amp" attribute in the geometry spreatsheet before. Does that mean if I promote some parameter for example the amplitude of the turbulance noise out of the vop network there is an "amp" attribute in the background but not in the geometry spreadsheet...but if I create a new one with the same name. The  old one in the background is replaced? I hope this is somehow understandable...if not just ignore that^^

crazy_box_02.hipnc

http://beesandbombs.tumblr.com/post/117269657434/circles-in-circles

tumblr_nnbr6brsi71r2geqjo1_540.gif

I tried to do this in VOP COP.

When I had to start fiddling with the variables in the for loop was a bit hard. I still find scripting easier  and clearer to read. But the new loop blocks are an amazing improvement over the old for loop.

Anyway, the setup might not be optimal in its structure, and is not 100% finished, I think I am missing the external static circle.

circles_V1.hip

• Like 2

Nice one Menos!

For the exercise of it I tried my own version in vex, in cops, without cheating and looking at your setup (tempting as it was!)

Strange that cops vex uses capital letters for its attributes. The final motion isn't the same as the bees n bombs version, but I learned a few things, which is the whole point innit?

circles_v2.hipnc

post-7292-0-55617900-1452519311.gif

• Like 3