Hey guys,

i can provide my scene if needed, but my problem is after 2-5frames rendering to disk Mantra literally just stops/freezes rendering. Ive changed my frame ranges, new mantra render nodes, pathed to a diff hard drive which i thought had worked but didnt. 

Just seems ridicolous, frames that are rendering are coming out exactly as wanted, Just dont understand why its freezing for no reason? 

heres the scene too; 

Any help would be great as im trying to do some test renders and at the minute not suceeding due to this issue 

ocean_v2_t7.hipnc

Hello,

Interesting... I have the same problem (H 16.0.600).  Mantra freezes rendering. I have two scenes based on GEO + Particles + EnvLight+Arealight  and Mantra (PBR). It freezes randomly, sometime on 100 frame, sometime on 259 frame. But if I restart the rendering the problems with this frames disappears until it freezes somewhere else. I can make the test and provide the scene file (it's difficult to report a bug while you can't catch it...)

P.S. I would like to test your scene too but I can't start the rendering, there are some missing files OBJ.

13 hours ago, Physalis said:

Hello,

Interesting... I have the same problem (H 16.0.600).  Mantra freezes rendering. I have two scenes based on GEO + Particles + EnvLight+Arealight  and Mantra (PBR). It freezes randomly, sometime on 100 frame, sometime on 259 frame. But if I restart the rendering the problems with this frames disappears until it freezes somewhere else. I can make the test and provide the scene file (it's difficult to report a bug while you can't catch it...)

P.S. I would like to test your scene too but I can't start the rendering, there are some missing files OBJ.

You can catch it with log output in shell with high verbosity level(with 'mantra -V 5' command) .

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone. For me the problem still remains. I'm using Guided Ocean Layer in Houdini Indie and after many days of setting up the details, sims, etc. I'm stuck (or extremely slowed down) in the rendering stage because I have to babysit the render. Impossible to leave it for the night or whatever - it gets stuck on a random frame. When I run it again from that frame there are no problems. When I run it from the beginning it freezes on a different frame - no repetitive stuff.

I've tried disabling other layers (interior, boat, whitewater etc), just leaving the extended ocean. I've changed dicing, I've disabled and enabled "Add Bump to Ray Traced Displacements". When I set Verbose to the max (5) I understand I see all the details, well it gets stuck on stuff like this:

"[11:34:38] Creating geometry (/obj/guidedoceanlayer_fluid_extended)
[11:34:38] Rendering: X(47, 62) Y(351, 359)
[11:34:38] Rendering: X(63, 78) Y(351, 359)
[11:34:38] Creating displaced geometry (/obj/guidedoceanlayer_fluid_extended)
[11:34:38] Rendering: X(79, 94) Y(351, 359)
[11:34:38] Rendering: X(95, 110) Y(351, 359)
[11:34:38] Rendering: X(111, 126) Y(351, 359)"

Random frame every time. I think it's a bug, because I've tried to simplify stuff back to the basic shelf tool setup. Or maybe it's because my waves are bigger that usual? The geometry says it would need dicing set up to 24. But why the problem always occurs on a different frame?

I've checked on Houdini Indie 16.0.633 and 16.0.736. Same thing.
Thanks for any tips.

Maybe your computer is overheating? The CPU reaches thermal overload and downgrades it's frequency to a slower Mhz to prevent thermal melt down. On the next render monitor your heat and see where it is at when the render hangs.