NURBS in prodution

Rafal

Hi

Yesterday I met on our local meeting of cgi people in Poland. There was a presention of new xsi 3. After that I talked with guy from avid/si and I asked him why nurbs are so messy in xsi. He told me: "nurbs aren't use in production" and added "I is one company in holywood using nurbs in his production"..."all are using subD". Is that true? For me not.

hmm...that doesn't sound right...

at my studio we use polys for almost everything - maya sub-d's are overkill most of the time...

as for nurbs...I'm sure I've read somewhere that ILM uses them for tons of stuff - yoda?- because of their rendering pipeline...just one example off the top of my head...

and to say that XSI's nurbs are messy beacuse no one uses them is a pretty dumb thing for a company rep to say....

like everything else in CG, use what works...if it gets the job done it doesn't matter what you use...

Digital Domain uses poly's and renders them mostly as sub-division surfaces. I've heard that Disney use NURBs quite extensively. The problem with being involved in so much effects animation (rather than character), my geometry buffet will usually be decked out only with NURBs grids or Primitive spheres. :D

You can do anything with a few good shaders and some patience.

-Le Grand Tapirrr

For me nurbs is a great tool to construct geometry eg. loft/skin, extrude along curve and other. Good modeler should have both poly/subD and nurbs. And texturing and uv mapping. And subD isn't precise tool it depends on subD level. In nurbs step >3 doesn't change so much model. But subD it is great organic modeling tool, it is much simple. You don't waste your on split mesh into different topology patch. So for me big problem in nurbs is multi patch, multi resolution obj. Howto texture them(displacement) together? There aren't great paint tool for win like studio paint. Texturing organic model in subD is easy and powerfull.

Too true.. When I said that DD uses poly's a lot, I was talking about the character guys. When it comes to effects, NURBS provide nicer derivatives and such, so for things like terrain, NURBs rule. (And the sphere primitive is KING).

It seems, Avid has very little love for NURBS or feels that NURBS isnt as important anymore. NURBS in Softimage XSI is only 20 % implemented, the only known thing about XSI 3.0 is that they added Trim, which is a nice start, but lets start rolling out more NURBS toolset! NURBS are still better for most product design than polygons or Sub-D. But NURBS are tough, theres not way to get multiple patches into a single patch so you can easily texture them and animate them in Maya. Not sure about the NURBS in Houdini?

Anyway, Avid, should make life easier , by adding more NURBS toolset and maybe a surface operator( Use to create single patch that can be expanded upon ).

Lastly, i love Softimage XSI, but without NURBS..i wont be using it much..

".... is that they added Trim, which is a nice start, "

Whaaa??? you must be joking! what is this the early 90s, or what!

while they're "adding trims" other software is running -flying- loops around them! everyone loving NURBS ought to check out Rhino: almost zero learning curve, and it can do straightforward stuff that would leave Maya and (unfortunenately) Houdini eating dust!

one more proof that no single app is "the" app!

~sigh....

sirogi wrote:

"one more proof that no single app is "the" app!"

yah unfortunately this is the case... its too costly for a company to make the end all be all of softwares, especially when the current tools need updates and or fix's. claiming is one thing, being is another. :)

".... is that they added Trim, which is a nice start, "

Whaaa??? you must be joking! what is this the early 90s, or what!

while they're "adding trims" other software is running -flying- loops around them! everyone loving NURBS ought to check out Rhino: almost zero learning curve, and it can do straightforward stuff that would leave Maya and (unfortunenately) Houdini eating dust!

one more proof that no single app is "the" app!

~sigh....

I don't know, but I like Houdini's NURBS so far...

No, i was not joking, XSI 2.0 NEVER had a trim , just now in XSI 3.0 Avid added trim. Like i said before, they dont think its important, Or they think its odd and dying technology. I guess big on NURBS like Rhino.

Blah, of course Rhino NURBS are better, because all they do is NURBS! Personally i like Rhino NURBS over any other software NURBS i have used.

If Maya, or Houdini only do NURSB modeling, it would be just as great, since those company only focus on improving that feature. But Houdini and Maya development team have alot boarder focus and respondsibility.