Direct modeling HDA

art3mis

• 2 months later...

I'm new to Houdini and I bought it, but his videos go way to fast for me to figure out what he's doing.  My theory is that if your mom can't figure it out from the instructions, it's not explained well enough.  

I think it's an amazing set of tools, with each having a lot of options, it just needs way more than a small file to make it comprehensible.   I understand there is a language barrier, so hopefully someone smarter than me can make an instructional set of follow along videos.  I did get farther along on the computer fan tutorial with his tools than the standard booleans.

Edited by eyeclick

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

DM 2.0. What's new:

1. We have now a complex modeling tool for artists called "Modeler"
  2. Polygonal tools menu has been removed. Replaced with Modeler tool
  3. Added a simple desktop "Modeler" - for Modeler maximized viewport mode
  4. "Soft Boolean" tools moved to a separate shelf. Revamped main shelf
  5. Removed deprecated DM 1.0 code and HDAs
  6. DM is now called "Direct Modeling". Not "Direct Modeling HDA"

---

What is Modeler tool?

It is a brend new tool that replace old DM 1.0 modeling paradigm.
Modeler has subtools like move, rotate, extrude, bevel, bridge, fill quads etc.
But you are always in "Push" mode. It means that you can drag geometry with soft radius at any stage
and use it in combination with other transformation tools.

Main parts of Modeler tool:
  a. Always available "Push" mode
  b. Quick splitting with Ctrl+LMB. No need for separate split tool
  c. Advanced point selection with RMB and other hotkeys.
  d. Transformation tools: move, rotate, scale, grab (Blender like), aligned grab, resize, lattice, ramp deform, align etc
  e. Destructive modeling tools: extrude, bevel, bridge, delete, collapse, fill quads, create polygon and others
  f. History tools: Walk through history, bake (delete) history, clean history, etc
  g. Navigation improvements: Align camera to the best view plane
  h. And much more.

---

Currently DM 2.0 is in alpha stage

Edited by Alexey Vanzhula
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2018 at 6:28 PM, eyeclick said:

I think it's an amazing set of tools, with each having a lot of options, it just needs way more than a small file to make it comprehensible.   I understand there is a language barrier, so hopefully someone smarter than me can make an instructional set of follow along videos. 

I agree. I bought it recently and I'm waiting for a more straightforward way to learn it. With some guesswork, one can achieve some good results, but a tool this deep and complex needs a proper way of learning it. Contrast and compare it to MOPs who provided an easy to follow series of quick tutorials on each of the modules. 

Alexey is obviously a very smart guy, but if he could find a way to create spoken, easy to follow tutorials, perhaps with the help of a friend, he could capitalize on his creation a lot more.

For the time being, I would even be happy with a non-sped-up version of his Vimeo overviews. Unlike YouTube, there is no way to slow down the playback of Vimeo videos as far as I can tell.