Weird Multiprocessor Rendering Issue..

It appears that multiprocessor rendering has stopped working. :blink:

I was using this command: mantra -H siavash -n 2

Today when I tried a render I noticed it was using only one core. I checked the cpu monitor and I can see both mantra processes, but one is just sitting there with almost no cpu utilizstion. I have tried other things for -H, like siavash,siavash or putting it in quotes, or not using the -n option, etc. Other areas of Houdini do utilize both cores, COPs for example.

I'm using Escape 8.2.85 on Linux.

Hostname is set to siavash

/etc/hosts file looks like this:

127.0.0.1 localhost

127.0.1.1 siavash

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Thanks

edit- I just realized maybe this post belongs in the Rendering forum. Forgive me, kinda out of it. :coffee1:

Edited by DaJuice

hi!

i am using master on ubuntu 6.06, and every time i try to render using -n or -H option it screws the license server and stops rendering and kills houdini. However, it is possible to start up to four (in my case) renders and it works. Technical support was not too eager to solve issue, so i purchased muster and learn to live with it. :{. Because of that and lack of shaders (and shader writing skills) we are also considering idea of purchasing licenses for air.

kumpa

Yikes, that really sucks. :o

Personally I can't bring myself to install one of the officially supported distros. They are are either too old and crusty (debian, ubuntu5.05) or too crappy (fedora). That's not the problem anyways because I had it working fine earlier. I tried what you did and just fired off two consecutive non-multiprocessor renders, and that does indeed use both cores. So I'm stumped...

I will try to delete all the files related to the license server and reinstall it.

I hope you find a solution to your problem too kumpa, best of luck.

edit- I notice when I turn on verbose and set it to rendering progress, the first line of the output reads: Connecting to 1 remote mantras

So it's thinking that -H siavash is a remote host? Confused.. <_<

Edited by DaJuice

• 5 weeks later...
Yikes, that really sucks. :o

Personally I can't bring myself to install one of the officially supported distros. They are are either too old and crusty (debian, ubuntu5.05) or too crappy (fedora). That's not the problem anyways because I had it working fine earlier. I tried what you did and just fired off two consecutive non-multiprocessor renders, and that does indeed use both cores. So I'm stumped...

I will try to delete all the files related to the license server and reinstall it.

I hope you find a solution to your problem too kumpa, best of luck.

edit- I notice when I turn on verbose and set it to rendering progress, the first line of the output reads: Connecting to 1 remote mantras

So it's thinking that -H siavash is a remote host? Confused.. <_<

Either use the -H option or the -n option, not both. You can add a HOST variable in houdini

with the names of all machines e.g. "workstation, workstation, renderslave1, renderslave1" (of course these names have to be defined in /etc/hosts too, use the name twice if the computer has more cores/cpus). Now you just can add $HOST to the mantra ROP and voila....

Spoiler!!

I don't think SESI will mind if I just mention to you that

multiprocessing/multithreading in Mantra has been much improved for H9; ... so I wouldn't work too hard on trying to get it to work in H8 - unless, of course, you are in production on H8.

If you're just doing stuff for yourself on your own machine, just use "-n 2" and don't worry about "-H localhost,localhost".

Yep, so I've heard regarding the multi-threading in the next mantra. ;) I need more golddds for the upgrade, H9 just looks so very tempting.

What I'm working on at the moment doesn't require any rendering on my part, so I've just let it be for now. I will try once again as soon as I can afford some downtime, thank you guys.

• 2 weeks later...

No luck. -n 2 by itself still renders only on one core, likewise with the variable trick. I'm thinking either it's something with the licenese or maybe Houdini doesn't like my /etc/hosts setup, though it looks pretty standard to me. Thank you guys, I will bug SESI about it. :)

No luck. -n 2 by itself still renders only on one core, likewise with the variable trick. I'm thinking either it's something with the licenese or maybe Houdini doesn't like my /etc/hosts setup, though it looks pretty standard to me. Thank you guys, I will bug SESI about it. :)

If you are running Apprentice it doesn't work i think. Apprentice only uses one core/cpu.

If you are running Apprentice it doesn't work i think. Apprentice only uses one core/cpu.

multiprocess render on local machine is supported on non-commercial version from a while...

EDIT:

or at least someone mentioned this once...

Edited by SYmek