Horse guy WIP

Marc

Well, let me get the ball rolling shall I?

Here is my latest model. As the title says, he's still being worked on. If theres enough interest then I may post some more work in progress pictures as I go.

Comments and crits welcome...

oh, and he has no pants, so don't be cheeky ...he's shy :rolleyes:

horsey1.jpg

horsey2.jpg

l8r g8r's

Marc

hey cool marc! what the hay, ill be the 1st to comment!

really cool seeing models done with houdini, perhaps you could post a little dity on the process's used to create him? :D

Q: do you plan on painting in muscle detail or details in general for that matter?

C: one of the things that sticks out most is where the deltoid meets the clavical area (which is hidden by the chestplate), at a glance it seems to be a really snug fit...almost too snug ;) if you are working toward a menacing figure maybe you could widen the neck area (trapezious muscle) and bulk the shoulders up like a football player. Kinda reminds me of a warcraft character, good reference could be http://blizzard.com/wow/ youll see the bipedal bull creature under the "wallpaper" section.

C: i think you nailed the feeling of overlapping objects, at first glance my eye was drawn to small bits which make up his accessories!

Keep up the good work!! id like to see this guy textured. Im not sure what type of look you are going for, so i kept the crit to a minimum and are strictly opinions of aesthetics.

Wit Luv,

Capt. Peon

PS - good addition to the site!

aye, I knew this was a good idea :).

I'll respond to the Q's and C's first ::

Q: do you plan on painting in muscle detail or details in general for that matter?

Yes I do, Mr Blobby muscled guy over there is going to have anatomically correct muscles. Because I'm lazy I decided to make his armour first, so I only have to do muscles in the places that are visible B)

C: one of the things that sticks out most is where the deltoid meets the clavical area (which is hidden by the chestplate), at a glance it seems to be a really snug fit...almost too snug  if you are working toward a menacing figure maybe you could widen the neck area (trapezious muscle) and bulk the shoulders up like a football player. Kinda reminds me of a warcraft character, good reference could be http://blizzard.com/wow/ youll see the bipedal bull creature under the "wallpaper" section.

Good comments, I'll work on the armour thing and make it more 'comfortable'. He is supposed to be a bad tempered hero character, so I don't want to make him too menacing... but yes, agreed he needs to have more of an attitude.

C: i think you nailed the feeling of overlapping objects, at first glance my eye was drawn to small bits which make up his accessories!

Thanks :). And I'm planning on having much more. His armour is going to have embossed detail, he'll have a sword and a polearm. As well as the many other little things that make up a fantasy medievil character. (earring, shoulder pads, studs, tassles...blah, blah, blah)

So, dity on creating him. hmm... personally I'm a big fan of the box modeling method. So a ton of poysplits, and edits were used to build his body. The armour is just modified from the original body, and the beading on the edge of the armour was made using the 'snap consolidate' option on the curve SOP.. fun.

Thanks for the comments, I'll post some more when he's gone a bit further down the line (or at least with his pants on :rolleyes: )

Thanks for the crits.

Marc

very cool, love seeing the process of something rather than a polished up version (houdini does this well :D)

C: I think Mr Blobby muscled guy in his current state screams "PAINT DETAILS, NO MODELS DEM!". i see there is enough detail in the arms, neck, and head to say, "okay, there are muscle shapes here and here, my pre-lit surface map will take care of the harder details". The UVlayout sop is such a kickass addition to H5, although I havent used it yet, DOH! :(

"He is supposed to be a bad tempered hero character"

if he isnt a malevolant creature maybe his body shape is just fine, a bigger neck seems to say "big hulking lumox" rather than "bad tempered hero".

Crit: looking at the body shape i noticed his hips are a bit too narrow (i have problems with this too!). That is unless this is going to be apart of the overall "style" of the model, eg. illustrative over anatomically correctness.

wit utter and complete luv,

Capt. Peon

ps - did i mention i really liked this addition to the site? :D

Great characater, not something you see everyday. :D

The model is looking real good so far. Are you going to give him human legs or animal like legs?

How are you planning to do the embossing on his armor, modeling or displacement maps?

C: I think Mr Blobby muscled guy in his current state screams "PAINT DETAILS, NO MODELS DEM!". i see there is enough detail in the arms, neck, and head to say, "okay, there are muscle shapes here and here, my pre-lit surface map will take care of the harder details". The UVlayout sop is such a kickass addition to H5, although I havent used it yet, DOH!

Of course you're assuming that I have any sort of painting ability at all :). I have vague amounts, but painting displacement muscles on him may be a bit tricky. You never know though..

Crit: looking at the body shape i noticed his hips are a bit too narrow (i have problems with this too!). That is unless this is going to be apart of the overall "style" of the model, eg. illustrative over anatomically correctness.

Yeah, it's the style I'm going for. Superhero proportions, ie huge shoulders and chest, narrow waist, long legs.

Dajuice : He's going to have human legs. The only thing horse-like about him will be his head, and skin (nice silky fur).

I'm going to model the larger armour detail and texture map the rest.

Heres some naked shots for you all... to give a sense of the overall body shape :

fullfrontal.jpgside.jpg

Hi Marc,

may we please see your wireframe shaded view of your character? I am very interested in studying other artists' topology set up.

After all, this is how I learn. :)

Out of curiosity, when you model the shirt for the character, did you just model it with Snap option (snap to geometry) turned on? Or did you do it through Ray SOP or CurveClay SOP or something?

Thanks!

Sure, which parts in particular?

As for the breastplate, all I did was blast out the poly's I didn't want and keep the ones on the chest. After a bit of editing to get it into the shape I wanted I built the rounded edge.

The rounded edge was built with a curve which was snapped to the relevant polys (with snap consolidate turned on). I then swept a poly circle around the curve, merged the two and fused the points. And with a bit of minor tweaking, insta edge... easy peasy :) .

l8r

Marc :ph34r:

the model has beautiful proportions. the waist is a bit slim. i would say make the obliques as important as the pectorals. also pay more attention to the lats(back muscles), the rear deltoid and the trapezius muscle... these shapes are important on this particular character because of the size of the head...which is about two times the size of a human head. these subtle shapes give a more menacing (hardcore) look and aesthetic. it will also bring forth individuality in the model.

it looks great I cant wait to see more. :)

Hi Marc,

I'd love to see the wireframe shaded view of the character mainly from the abdominal area and up to the head. I'd love to see how you handle the shoulder area. These are the area I personally struggle with when I am trying to follow proper topology to get it to deform better.

Thanks, Marc! :)

oh yeah... shoulders... <cough>.. um.

I think you'll find that my shoulders don't have anything special about them. At the moment I'm faced with two choices, remodel the suckers or put shoulder pads and stuff on.

I'm still deciding which to do :). But I'll try and get a screen grab tonight sometime... busy busy busy...

Marc

HALLO GANG!

Shoulder pads would be much cooler imo B) But for the sake of learning, modeling the shoulder would be peachy!

I dont think you would be taking any shortcuts creating the shoulder pads since it would enhance the character. If it was a super hero in tights, that would be a different story! :lol:

Lub,

Capt. Peon

Edit: really bad grammer today :(

oh, and to answer your question plan9.. I'm not running into any major issues with the modeling at the moment.

Do you mean with the software? Or technique?

'cause as far as I'm concerned Houdini is just as good (if not better) than all the other poly modelers out there. There is definitely room to improve, but as with the character tools, for a version 1 its pretty good B)

Cheers

Marc

sweet! Mr Ed "Warrior Addition" has deffinately made a lot of progress!

As to my question, I meant technique. I havet runn into any problems with the modeling tools yet, usually just looking for new techniques :D

I think the addition of the shirt is a good idea...keep em coming!!!

Mike C.

another small update.

I'm almost done with the modeling I think. I just gotta figure out what his shoulder pad should look like and build a poleaxe of sorts, and then I'm on to texturing.

Anyway, C&C always welcome.

horse_w_sword.jpghorse_w_sword2.jpg