Horse guy WIP

Marc

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice work there Marc! Houdini's modeling is pretty good, as been proven.

One question, was it rendered with Mantra or with any RenderMan compatible renderer? or even mental ray?

Welcome to the odforce forums, Calosus :)

I know Marc is away at SIGGRAPH right now, so I'm not sure how much time he'll get to browse the forum, but I can tell you that the renders were done in mantra 5, using a lightdome technique thats in vogue right now. This one was generated from the plugin to HDRShop.

Cheers,

Jason

Welcome to the odforce forums, Calosus :)

I know Marc is away at SIGGRAPH right now, so I'm not sure how much time he'll get to browse the forum, but I can tell you that the renders were done in mantra 5, using a lightdome technique thats in vogue right now. This one was generated from the plugin to HDRShop.

Cheers,

Jason

Well, first of all thanks for the warm welcome! And I heard about HDRI, very impressive technology.

Still one question though, is the Mantra (5) renderer capable of rendering Global Illumination? Or not? (Hence the faking?)

I can answer that one Calosus (welcome btw :) )

Mantra does not have GI, and I don't really think it will anytime soon.

Splutterfish said they were planning a Houdini port of Brazil when the max version was done. Well, they are doing a maya port next, but I hope they still plan to bring it over to Houdini.

Maybe I'll e-mail them.

That'd be interesting to see Brazil for Houdini. Yes, mail 'em and find out.. I'm guessing that they'll be more interested in doing it now that Houdini is beginning to enter the mainstream with Houdini Apprentice, and so on. It'd be an excellent renderer to have for showreels and artistic purposes.

Excited is the Tapir.

I can answer that one Calosus (welcome btw  :) )

Mantra does not have GI, and I don't really think it will anytime soon.

Splutterfish said they were planning a Houdini port of Brazil when the max version was done. Well, they are doing a maya port next, but I hope they still plan to bring it over to Houdini.

Maybe I'll e-mail them.

Ah okay.

About Brazil, I am personally not such a fan of it. I'd rather try rendering with mental ray (or PRMan). So far, I haven't succeeded yet with mental ray.

And thanks for welcoming me :)

Hi Marc

Just having a look at the latest pix and really like the proportions you have going with this guy.

Just a few questions-

*you mentioned "nice silky fur" in a previous post, i'm wondering are you doing this in v5 or v5.5? wasn't too sure if the hair solutions would handle fur on a whole body too efficiently.....but i'm probably wrong. are hair/fur solutions enhanced in v5.5?

*i guess you are up to the texturing phase now, so it would be good to get feedback on the texturing tools as these have been reworked for v5. and do you think some 2d/3d paint tools would go well with texturing tools. i know there is ipaint but this is very primitive - just wondering if you feel this would be of value as you are texturing.

*will you animate your model? if so, do you plan a dynamics solution for the cloth?

Betty

Ok, I got a reply back from the folks at splutterfish.

Kind of a good news, bad news deal...

"There are no specific plans for a port to Houdini. However, we are

porting to other platforms such as maya and this means the API used for

these ports will certainly make it easier to port to others. We hope to

publish this API when it is further along with the expectation that

other programmers will step in and do their own thing. Perhaps a

Houdini programmer will take up the challenge.

Thanks for your inquiry!

Connie"

Hi Betty

Well, for the fur I'm thinking of one of two things. Firstly, mantra supports the curve primitive (similar to renderman), so its easy to make short fur. Its what Sony used for Stuart Little.

But considering that horses have very short fur, I might get away with a nice shader and texture map. Maybe a nice anisotropic shader will be good enough... I'll have to see.

As for texturing. The new uv editing tools are awesome, and in 5.5 you can render out an image of the flattened uv's. I tend to take it into photoshop and paint the texture in there, using the uv's as a guide.

Personally I wouldn't try and use ipaint for anything... ;)

I don't think I'll do dynamics for the cloth, although I'll probably rig some sort of pseudo dynamics for it so that I don't have to hand animate it totally. I want to give hime a nice cape too, but I think I'll wait until cloth is implemented before trying that :)

Anyway, since I'm all fired up from SIGGRAPH expect some updates soon..

Marc

:ph34r:

I just took a closer look at some of the rendered character from Final Fantasy 8. It doesn't appear that they used much Cloth simulation at all. If Square can achieve such nice animation, without having to deal with photo-real, secondary cloth motion, I think we might be able to achieve those similar effects in Houdini via condition-driven blend shape, spring, CHOP, etc.

I don't know how I would approach doing it, but those are just my theory at what would be involved based on my current understanding of Houdini tools, which isn't all that deep... yet.

One thing I've been wondering about whether or not is doable is to figure out a sphere of limit into an object's point so that a particular point cannot go beyond a specific position beyond its neighboring points. Kinda like soft-transform, I guess. But then again, isn't this is almost the same idea behind Cloth sim?

WHo knows, may be soft-transform is it.