Matchmove software again

symek

This topic comes back from time to time I'm afraid. Here it's my turn. I'm considering three alternatives:

- Boujou

- PFTrack

- SynthEyes

- (3dEqualizer... not this time)

I'm familiar only with Boujou which simple worked in my case well. There are also lots of good comments about PFTrack, but relatively low price and lots of features makes me suspicious (sic!). What I need (of course) is a solid camera tracker with support for Linux (and Windows ideally).

Any comments appreciated!

Simon.

I'm familiar only with Boujou which simple worked in my case well. There are also lots of good comments about PFTrack, but relatively low price and lots of features makes me suspicious (sic!). What I need (of course) is a solid camera tracker with support for Linux (and Windows ideally).

Any comments appreciated!

Simon.

We use SynthEyes here and we are very satisfied. Solid and insanely fast. UI is... strange. Doesn't work on Linux natively, according to their site can be run under Wine. I manged to solve pretty much anything I encountered in our projects until now. Exports to a huge lot of packages, Houdini export is nice and there's also a scripting language for developing exporters if the need arise.

I tested PFTrack some time ago and I liked it a lot. The UI is much nicer than SynthEyes. At that time, it was a LOT slower than SynthEyes (tracking & solving). I haven't use it in production so I can't really compare. It has some nice Optical Flow features, but again I have no experience with those. I really don't consider PFTrack's price low :) , otherwise we'd have gotten it by now :P

Dragos

Funny, we're just going through this process now too :). We've decided on 3dEqualizer for now, but there was some question about SynthEyes and how good it was. Good to know that it's quliaty is decent... although it might reopen the debate.

Cheers

M

We use Boujou, but we recently get into Syntheyes which is much faster in computation's time... The two works great and are simple to use...

I second Syntheyes - it's a great program. Very fast and reliable. Also supports exporting to lots of other software. It has a very good camera stabilization tool.

We use SynthEyes here and we are very satisfied. Solid and insanely fast. UI is... strange. Doesn't work on Linux natively, according to their site can be run under Wine.

We use it very, very regularly in Linux/Wine here (Asylum FX). For those of us running dual boot machines, it's sometimes just a huge pain to reboot (our Maya and Houdini pipelines are all Linux-based) just to get back into SynthEyes (or back to Maya), so we spent quite some time evaluating the possibility of running it in Wine. Once we were satisfied that it was reasonably reliable it became standard for a few of us to use it from inside Linux instead of rebooting or running two machines at all times.

It's not quite as fast under Linux and there are some things that are a little quirky, but that seems to be mainly OpenGL issues that are being gradually addressed by the Wine team. The software itself is very stable in Linux and runs well enough for all but the most demanding shots.

• 1 year later...

cgFocus has published MatchMover Pro 4 in-Depth Review, by Steve Warner. Steve is co-author with Timothy Albee on Essential LightWave 3D 8 and author of the upcoming LightWave 3D 8 Modeling. In this aticle, steve explains about matchmoving and detailed (15 pages) Review of Matchmoving software MatchMover Pro 4 ......Steve; The more I work with MatchMover Pro 4, the more I appreciate its easy workflow and powerful tools. Among the high-end matchmoving applications, MatchMover Pro is the clear winner in terms of features, price and performance. This is without a doubt the Cadillac of matchmoving programs. It not only looks great but it performs extremely well, even under difficult circumstances........