mantra and motion blur

there is a very good comparison of mental ray and PRman on http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=33132 and the one thing that was pointed out (by an ILM guy (?) 'gga') as PRman's real strength when compared to mr is it's speed when using motion blur...

so I was wondering if any kinds of comparisons have been done using mantra?...

I've only ever done one or two side-by-side comparisons of mantra 5.0 to prman 10. I rendered a spaceship consisting of 600k polygons motionblurred - streaking through the scene from left to right, and the ship took up almost all of the screen. The shaders were simple non-raytraced metal-like shaders. I found mantra to render the scene in 2:20 and prman in 2:10. The memory usage for mantra was just over half of prman's usage (!). I'll say that the anti-aliasing on some portion of the ship was more pleasing on the prman render, but in motion the difference was invisible.

Mantra always seems to deal with eye-splits soo much better than prman, although I have no idea about prman 11's improvements.

It'd be great if someone with time would compare the raytracing, displacement, motionblur and GI features of these two products, and I'll bet a dollar they come of very comparable overall. Mantra6 with PrMan11.

Anyone got the time? ;-)

J

Yeah, no joke there! Its one huge motivating factor on a large show to have a large number of licenses. Its that what got mantra out the starting gate at DD on Time Machine, and also the incredible support we had for it from Side Effects all bundled with the bonus of the cool raytracing capabilities.

Keep it up SESI! Keep ahead of prman! ;-)

I'm really partial to mantra, and I think it's because we grew up on the same block.

it would be good if somebody added mental ray to the mix as this now has sub-pixel displacements and vector based displacements, memory usage and motion blur features have also had a boost with v3.2

i've used it in xsi and it is very fast when it comes to ray tracing, final gathering, cuastics and area lights......seems to work very differently to mantra..

...and isn't GI in mantra 'very' slow, i'd also be suprised/impressed if it can keep up with mental ray,s ray tracing.

mantra seems to be a black art to me........but still trying! and it's great that large production houses are using it in production, with great results! thanks for the inspiration!

thanks for the comments Jason....

It would be nice to see some comparisons of mantra/prman/mr, I don't have much renderman experience, and none of PRman (where's that spare $5K....?), been using/playing with mr since the plugin for maya came out and I'm enjoying the look/speed/stability of mr compared to maya's default (but that's no suprise <_< ).

SESI seems to be hiding (or should I say occluding) mantra under a bushel.

...and isn't GI in mantra 'very' slow

Isn't GI 'very' slow in every render?

That's GI for ya baby :)

AFAIK it's comparable to any other renderer out there for speed. In fact I believe PRman may be slower with that kinda stuff, but don't quote me on that.

Marc