normalmap

Ok, here are my findings. It was a pain in the ass to do, and I feel that I need to go take a walk, but I suppose if someone were to set up a pipeline this could actually be somewhat unpainful.

Here are my findings:

mantra -u (to render an unwrapped uv image) does not work in houdini 6

mantra -u works in 5.5, but only if you render to an ip. if you save to file, you're screwed.

Deep raster N is useless, cause you can't save you a deep raster layer as a seperate file. Oh, I know this should be easy, and it seems like it would be, and if you have any idea how to do this, I'd like to hear about it.

When you hit the little viewer icon in a file load, it doesn't show you floating point values. That one drove me nuts.

Anyway, the first pic is the actual deformed geometry, the second is the normal map, and the third is a flat grid with the new normals applied.

-Jens

post-15-1054922657.jpg

mantra -u (to render an unwrapped uv image) does not work in houdini 6

It's still beta and only works on Polys and vertex uv's right now. Even then, it may not work all the time. For example a default poly sphere won't work with polar uv's but that same sphere as a mesh converted to polys does.

Why not send in all the cases that don't work to me to jeff@you-know-where.com (**I hate spam trollers**) and I'll collect them all to send on to R&D. Apprentice and Houdini files please. zip them up too.

-jeff

hehe, I think I was having a bad day yesterday.:ph34r:

Actually, I was not able to render straight to a file. The render would crash halfway through every time, so my only option left was to save from ip, where I wasn't able to save the deep raster layer. Rendering from H6 just didn't work at all.

But anyhoo, I didn't mean to sound so grouchy.

Cheers,

Jens

Hey guys.

What is the purpouse of the normal map?

What I mean is, applying normal map to a low res model makes it smooth and everything but to create this normal map you have to model a high res model first, right?

Would be a different story if one could create normal map from photo! That would be exciting.

........What I mean is, applying normal map to a low res model makes it smooth and everything but to create this normal map you have to model a high res model first, right?......

yeah, thats right.

We have the high res models for "cuts-scenes". The normal-maps are used with low-res models in the game-engine to get close the same look.

.......mantra -u works in 5.5, but only if you render to an ip......

It is right, that the output from mantra -u is working with 5.5x , but not really with 6.x

.....Would be a different story if one could create normal map from photo! That would be exciting.

If you can make this working, I think you will get sone "animation-nobel-award" :D

Thanks for all replies..