i need help

hi every body,,,

i need to know which program is the best one for graphics ( maya5 , houdini , lightwave v7.5 , softimage xsi v3 , 3dstudiomax v5 )

and if any body know where i can download the full version of houdini please write sites down if u can....

thanks for helping :D:unsure:

Hi there

Thats a good way to start a flame war at any other forum :). Good thing we're pretty relaxed round here... B)

So, here's what I think.

If you're good, or if you're willing to learn, then any of those packages will be great for creating beautiful images. All of them have their strengths and weaknesses, but you'll normally only run into those when you're working at a much higher level (ie an expert user in the software).

Personally I like Houdini the best (duh!) for its workflow and its future. Also because I'm lazy and don't want to learn anything else :D .

I suggest you try out all of them and see which one appeals to you the most from a workflow and appearance point of view. Once you've become adept at using it, then it won't be hard to switch to another package.

You can grab the free version of Houdini from Side Effects.

Good luck :). Be sure to return when you have questions (and you will have questions)

Cheers

Marc

I'm not as familar with Houdini as I am with Maya, but I like Houdini more...

as for what program will create beautiful images check out www.Rustboy.com , he's using Infini-D, which I don't think you can even buy anymore...but Brian Taylor is doing some very good work with it.

Personally I think the best in terms of ease of use is Pov-ray in conjunction with notepad. Sky is the limit. :P

Honestly it all depends on the person, some people just like certain workflows. Which is also why I think Houdini has a great future ahead due to its flexiblity.

On a side note. Anyone ever get a chance to see Mirai? I saw a few demos of it and it had a kickin' animation system going. To bad it debuted while Maya was going full force. They never had a chance. :(

jim.

I too like Houdini best, but then again they pay me! Nice to be objective.

That aside, I get to see everything and I mean everything from all sides. There is only one common denominator: The users that were the most diverse and broad in their knowledge don't care about software (as long as it doesn't crash and the car they drive wasn't paid for by the veodor :lol: ), just about getting the job done. They see a few days picking up new software as just a hick-up.

This is why houdini is an excellent choice. It doesn't shield you from your work. There has to be a basic understanding of 3D graphics in order for you to use the tool and I don't mean writing code which you won't have to do for quite some time if you choose Houdini for SFX over the others. Honest injin. It ain't hard, just takes time.

One thing's for sure, you will know in a week if Houdini is for you if you give it an honest try ( few hours a nite with the tuts and vids). I bet you that.