Soft Lock fun

symek

That's a blatant abuse of soft locks. :lol:

Soft Lock flags were in use at a time way before the Edit SOP and all the latest model work flows. A time when the fabled Model SOP was to be used to both create and modify geometry.

A soft lock (the blue flag instead of the red hard lock flag) is one where a local cache is set for modified points only. All the other points flow through. This allowed the Model SOP to modify incoming data and not place a hard lock which would of course kill proceduralism.

Edit SOPs are used these days as they deal with this in a proper seamless way.

The UI has disappeared but the text port command remains: opset -l soft my_node_path. Just crashed Houdini trying this... Best to stay way clear of soft lock madness. If you submit it, it may just go away period.

When I've found it, I felt like someone intentionally makes me puzzled, "can't be, Houdini gets crazy!". But then I reassembled soft lock thing. I wonder how this performs interpolation of values? Based on RFSTART, RFEND? Crazy idea...