Houdini 6.1

michael

just wanted to provide a little thread for chatting about Houdini 6.1

It will be out next week and looks like it's yet another great update from Side Effects.

Feature highlights for Houdini 6.1 include; drag-and-drop support for

promoting handles and parameters onto a digital asset; a streamlined Pose

tool that makes it easier to animate digital asset characters; support for

inverse kinematic squash-and-stretch of bones; pick-walking in a bone

chain; new muscle and wire deformers; the ability to transfer attributes to

a new piece of geometry; and a Flipbook feature for fast preview of

OpenGL-rendered animations with audio. Additional features range from a

new pelt surface operator for "unwrapping" texture UVs in a manner similar

to real-world pelting to numerous interface and compositing enhancements,

such as the customer-requested return of the Render COP.

my first reaction to this is : "holy shit!"

I'll wait till I can try it out before I make any further comments :)

also it might be an idea to give some fedback about things that are not yet in Houdini but you feel should be...can't hurt :rolleyes:

also if anyone knows if the Early Access 6.1 can be picked up in Toronto - let me know

Sounds great, especially the pelt sop thingy. I remember there was a thread on the old odforce forum talking about this. Curious to see how it works.

One thing that I would like to see is direct avi output from mantra, and the ability to use avi files as textures, a la max. Not a huge deal, just a matter of convenience.

Sounds great, especially the pelt sop thingy. I remember there was a thread on the old odforce forum talking about this. Curious to see how it works.

One thing that I would like to see is direct avi output from mantra, and the ability to use avi files as textures, a la max. Not a huge deal, just a matter of convenience.

What's so bad about image sequences? :o

Nothing at all, but if I didn't have Premiere I wouldn't have a way to string all those bitmaps into an avi. And it would be kinda inconvenient to have to break up an existing avi into an image sequence to use it as a texture. Unless there's a way around that which I'm not aware of, which could very well be. :P

Nothing at all, but if I didn't have Premiere I wouldn't have a way to string all those bitmaps into an avi. And it would be kinda inconvenient to have to break up an existing avi into an image sequence to use it as a texture. Unless there's a way around that which I'm not aware of, which could very well be. :P

Well Houdini does have a way to convert an image sequence into an AVI, it's a standalone tool called MCP. It couldn't hurt to support some movie formats for textures, or render directly to a movie format, but that's probably not something SESI's clients are clamoring for so it's not on their priority list.

but that's probably not something SESI's clients are clamoring for so it's not on their priority list.

Exactly, I doubt any of them would use such a feature. But like you said it wouldn't hurt to implement it in the future, Houdini is becoming more and more user friendly anyways.

Well Houdini does have a way to convert an image sequence into an AVI, it's a standalone tool called MCP.

I knew it. :P Thanks for the tip.

I wrote detailed instructions over at the main sesi forums to compress using mcp into divx. Maybe someone would put it in a FAQ or something. I'll repost it here:

Let's assume that we are on Windows. To combine all your images into an .avi file, you will need to use the command line tools. I'll try to outline a series of steps for compressing into DivX on Windows since I've done that before.

1. First make sure that you have the DivX codec from http://www.divx.com

2. Make sure that you rendered out your images in a resolution that is evenly divisible by 4 in both width and height. This took me awhile before I figured out that the DivX codec was incapable of encoding arbitrary sizes. I just did a web search and apparently if you have the Flask DivX encoder, it only encodes resolutions that are divisible by 16.

3. I'll assume that you rendered out your sequence as filename.$F.tiff. If your file sequence was rendered out differently. Then substitute with the appropriate file name below.

4. Ok, now from the Start Menu, go to Programs > Side Effects Software > Houdini 5.5.xxx (ie. where you launch Houdini from), and choose Command Line Tools

5. This brings up a DOS prompt with its enviroment initialized to use Houdini's command line tools.

6. Use the cd command to change your current working directory to where your pictures were rendered. If you've have never done this before, you might want to type help cd first. For example, if you rendered to c:/mypics, type cd /d c:/mypics

7. Now type mcp -f FSTART FEND filename.$F.tiff -o -r FPS -w WIDTH -h HEIGHT filename.avi. Replace FSTART with your first frame number, FEND with your last frame number, FPS with your frame rate, WIDTH with your picture width, HEIGHT with your picture height.

8. A dialog will pop up asking you to choose your encoder after entering this command. Find the DivX codec and press the OK button.

9. That should be it. You may be tempted to use other codecs to compress but I've found that very little of the default codecs that comes with Windows have encoding capability and even then, poor compression or poor quality. Of course, if you have some other encoding capable codecs installed, then you might want try those but no guarentees.

10. Note that if you want more details on how to use mcp, the command is mcp - (that's a single hyphen after mcp)

• 1 month later...