setting up glass of water secne to get real result.....

salam evryone

i rendered glass of water with this setting of reflection setting and i use one common serfuce between the water and glass like in this image :

post-4405-129123284863_thumb.jpg

but if i set up the scene with this setting and give both of water and glass its own serfuce like in this image :

post-4405-129123295234_thumb.jpg

i didn't get the real result as in first image setting ,how i have to manipulate the indexs of reraction in second image to get real resulte (or it just can be done with first image setting)?

Hi Hossam,

I looked at your file and I think the IOR settings for diagram 2 are incorrect. Both the glass and water should have air as the outside media (Outside IOR of 1). I also get better results when the surfaces are intersecting, where the liquid is slightly bigger than the inside of the glass. I've attached an edited version.

Personally I think diagram 1 is the more elegant way to do it, and I've had good results.

post-37-129149563266_thumb.png

caustics_final_edit.zip

DaJuice_whiskey_water.zip

• Like 1

that's very nice looking render DaJuice, i like it

i remember getting better results with intersecting water/glass in mental ray, but it breaks the attenuation of the water (or wine rather) since it measures length of the refracted ray and it is really short since glass wall is right next to it. I think in Vray it works that way

I am not sure how mantra's attenuation works in this case, but since it doesn't work in PBR i guess it's not worth to ask.

splitting water in 2 surfaces and deleting common surface from glass seems pretty crazy to me (even though it may be the most optimized solution and maybe the most correct?) but in case of dynamic water i guess it's not so easy (maybe in houdini it is) but i doubt that that's the way it's usually done in movies

I haven't looked into it, but yeah, I'm not sure how you would deal with dynamic liquids. If the Cookie SOP weren't so notoriously unreliable...

Now that I think of it, we had a thread dealing with dynamic liquid/glass interaction, either here or on the SESI board. I'll have to look for it.

Edited by DaJuice

• 1 year later...

I haven't looked into it, but yeah, I'm not sure how you would deal with dynamic liquids. If the Cookie SOP weren't so notoriously unreliable...

Now that I think of it, we had a thread dealing with dynamic liquid/glass interaction, either here or on the SESI board. I'll have to look for it.

and this one :)

http://vimeo.com/18542939

Here's the file brought up to H12.1 with a new Mantra Output driver as some parms have changed since H11.

DaJuice_whiskey_water_H12.1_v002.hip

It started to clean up with these settings:

post-371-0-92600700-1349392711_thumb.jpg

Pixel Samples: 4x4

Min Ray Samples: 1

Max Ray Samples: 12

Noise Level: 0.02

Getting Cleaner with these settings:

post-371-0-55568100-1349392721_thumb.jpg

Pixel Samples: 7x7

Min Ray Samples: 1

Max Ray Samples: 16

Noise Level: 0.01

I like to increase the Pixel Samples along with the Max Ray Samples and set the Noise Level down. I use the diagnostic Ray Level "level" image plane to see how deep the ray tree went.