Expressions. Paste copied relative reference

evgen

Hello.

I have a problem, ex:

we have expression in parameter

ch("../bla/parameter")*(ch("../bla/parameter")+(ch("../bla/parameter")/5))

But what if we need add new parameter reference to this existing expression?

If I copy parameter from some another node I will get reference to parameter only by clearing existing expression.

After Paste copied relative reference we will get only

ch("../bla2/parameter2")

But how i can leave existing expression and just add new parameter reference after existing expression line?

ch("../bla/parameter")*(ch("../bla/parameter")+(ch("../bla/parameter")/5))ch("../bla2/parameter2")

?

Now I need to paste relative reference to some another empty parameter, copy expression text and after that, paste this text to end of the existing expression line.

I'am doing this a ten times per work session. it tooks a lot of time, so can somebody help with it? i'am sure that i'am not only one with this problem

Thanks

But how i can leave existing expression and just add new parameter reference after existing expression line?

ch("../bla/parameter")*(ch("../bla/parameter")+(ch("../bla/parameter")/5))ch("../bla2/parameter2")

?

Now I need to paste relative reference to some another empty parameter, copy expression text and after that, paste this text to end of the existing expression line.

I'am doing this a ten times per work session. it tooks a lot of time, so can somebody help with it? i'am sure that i'am not only one with this problem

Thanks

And I supose Houdini also should figure himself do you wan't multiply/add/divide etc. those next expressions too, right ? Those expressions can be alot more complicated so there is no way to automate this.

If you looking for point and click application Houdini is not the way to go.

And I supose Houdini also should figure himself do you wan't multiply/add/divide etc. those next expressions too, right ? Those expressions can be alot more complicated so there is no way to automate this.

I manualy move my cursor and set proper math sign or print proper sign and after that paste copyed reference.

It could be very useful thing.

btw, drag parameter to experession editor (alt+e) works perfectly - it adds parameter reference where is your cursor now.

Edited by evgen

Hello.

I have a problem, ex:

we have expression in parameter

ch("../bla/parameter")*(ch("../bla/parameter")+(ch("../bla/parameter")/5))

But what if we need add new parameter reference to this existing expression?

If I copy parameter from some another node I will get reference to parameter only by clearing existing expression.

After Paste copied relative reference we will get only

ch("../bla2/parameter2")

?

Thanks

What I have done when I have one expression that I want to drive many params is create a spare channel ie "../myNode/myChannel" and place the expression there. Then in each parameter I want this to be used I channel reference using chsraw() instead of ch() or chs(). Since you need it to be evaluated in each param separately you need to enclose the channel reference using eval(). your channel ref in each param should look something like this...

eval(chsraw("../myNode/myChannel"))

HTH

That's not the point and what's with the attitude? Just because an application can be robust and flexible doesn't mean the interface has to suck. There should be a way to paste in copied channels at the cursor position without deleting the entire existing expression.

Thanks evgen, using the windowed expression editor is a nice work around. I wasn't aware that other channels could drag and drop in there.

What I have done when I have one expression that I want to drive many params is create a spare channel ie "../myNode/myChannel" and place the expression there. Then in each parameter I want this to be used I channel reference using chsraw() instead of ch() or chs(). Since you need it to be evaluated in each param separately you need to enclose the channel reference using eval(). your channel ref in each param should look something like this...

eval(chsraw("../myNode/myChannel"))

HTH

Spencer. thanks.

its nice logical thing!

Seems to me, that the best way to manage a lot of expressions, is to make some control node with a lot of parameters with expressions, which would be used in all network. its the best way i think, to have all code inside one node for best management.

But the topic theme is open. maybe we can send this to wishlist to SESI? what you think about it?

Hi evgen,

I must agree with you - I would also like the ease of pasting a copied referenced channel at the cursor position, without overwriting the entire channel.

Would speed up my workflow substantially! I currently paste the copied referenced channel into an unused channel, then copy it from there to where I need it, though sometimes it's just quicker to type the reference in manually.

Maybe if we ask nicely SESI will consider implementing this? Has anyone ever added this as an RFE?

Matt.

• 2 weeks later...

This annoys me too!

I usually copy the contents of the expression, then paste the reference onto that channel to overwrite it. Then paste back in the expression that got overwritten. they are seperate buffers so this works. Better than pasting into another channel to get the reference ....

It would be nice if there was a modifier key to insert the right click action instead of overwriting the channel ...