Guys... topic!

Guest Guest_maharzan

how about instead of a full character rig, we could have a few threads (in the character section of course) on each of the main areas of a character : an arm thread, a leg thread, spine, controls, etc

this way we could build up a bunch of sample files in each area, and each thread would be on just the one topic - for better reading/reference...

?

The foot example, I didn't get a good look at, but the deal with it was that it had an automatic control setup that was an OTL. So you drop the oTL in your scene, click a button and, boom, your character's leg is set up automaticly. I think the deal was it would work on any leg provided the bones were named properly. I'm just starting on trying to do something like that.

Anyhow, I'd like to see some serious discussion about character rigs as well since there isn't alot of really good info available for any software let alone Houdini. Check the character forum in a bit, and let's chat.

I was definetly NOT thinking full character rig. The reason the foot setup appealed to me so much was because you could drop it in at any point and set up your characters feet. I imagine that someone (us?) could build a wicked library of setups... Arm setup is a great idea, spine setup of course, maybe eye/lookat setup, and so on and so forth. I think this could be incredibly powerful and could make houdini character animation super dope and out of sight.

-J

Sorry about the; Wolfwood is going crazy. Don't be fooled by his silly antics; Houdini is the best place to be doing this.

Wolfwood has lost sight of whats appropriate motivation. Come on Wolfie! :P

As a rule of thumb only 50% of what I say should actually be listened too. The trick is figuring out when to listen. :P

Personally I find Houdini's character tools top notch. A few tools are a little rough around the edges but they are being smoothed out with time.

Once a good work flow is worked out great characters can be cranked out pretty quick. Using the OTL features in Houdini you can build specific parts of a rig or controls and easily drop them into new characters will little or no fuss.

I think creating a library of rig tools and setups is a great idea. Probably a good starting place would be to go back to the 3DBuzz and the Side Effects tutorials and break apart what they did and create some OTLs out of that. At least this would be a "start" to the library and would get the ball rolling.

jim.

Don't worry about Wolfie, we'll keep him in line. Me thinks he needs more Red Bull.

As for the foot OTL rig, sure. It worked nice. Basically it was both a proof of concept that an OTL could be made to control an entire leg-foot and secondly, that OTL-OPtype handles mirror correctly, which they do, which absolutely rocks. Actually, the mirroring of OPtypes is simply phenomenal. It is the small details that makes these character tools very powerful.

If you know how to build a Custom OPtype, then just build a foot rig and OPtype'ify it! You will get real intimate with the OPtype's middle folder for sure.

word

yep good subject.

The buzz rig is pretty good. All i modified so far is the automation node, because that drove me nuts in my animation.

I added a switch to it, so that i can turn it on or off, whatever i need.

What i am searching for a while now, is an example on facial rigs.

I wanna get away from the classic mesh deforms for facial animation, just use it for small things.

So see you in the rigging forum.