SSS behind a glass

I have a character with a mantra surface Shader on it with it´s default SSS turned on so far no problem it works well, but the character wears a glass helmet that covers it´s head. The problem is that behind the glass the SSS doesn't work.

I also tried to render with both micropolygon and PBR and the result is the same, is that a mantra limitation or there´s a way to make it work?

Thanks.

Light passing through a refractive surface and illuminating a surface is classed as a Caustic light path. You might have either set your glass to cast no shadows (in the MantraSurface shader) and/or set the PBR paths to "All Paths". Or, use caustic photons to "properly" propagate light through the glass.

I've tried caustics, exclude the glass from casting shadows and also configured the PBR to consider all paths, none of them did the trick.

Any more ideas? And how can I easily configure my mantra surface shader to cast no shadows?

Edited by Mzigaib

Any more ideas? And how can I easily configure my mantra surface shader to cast no shadows?

to disable shadows in mantra surface

Surface/Opacity Tab/Enable Faux Caustics

and set both options to 0

however, excluding object from shadows of all lights should work too if you want per object solution

Thanks for the info.

I could make the shadow exclusion work but not the SSS behind the glass, even without shadows.

I am using 2 lights one env light and one direct, I´ve tested both with and without shadows and the result is the same.

Ideas?

Edited by Mzigaib

Thanks for the info!

I could get it to work making my on SSS shader starting from the good old Houdini gallery I updated it to work with the new shader builder but the cost is that it doesn't work right with PBR.

Besides that the non Physical worked very well, but would be nice to get the physical SSS to work on this conditions though.

I had this problem at first when working on an eye. One layer was glass-like refractive/reflective with the surface beneath utilizing the mantra surface for SSS. Think i turned off casting shadows. Worked both in PBR and MPR.

I will post a scene to show it working and you can pick it apart if i forgot anything.

I had this problem at first when working on an eye. One layer was glass-like refractive/reflective with the surface beneath utilizing the mantra surface for SSS. Think i turned off casting shadows. Worked both in PBR and MPR.

I will post a scene to show it working and you can pick it apart if i forgot anything.

Thanks for the info but turning off the shadows didn't work for me.

• 2 months later...