Volume Modeling Plug-in

rony

After using Storm for a while and not being able to quickly visualize the volumes in the viewport without a hassle, I've decided to start this project.

Basically it's a volumetric modeling plug-in for Houdini. It's still in its infancy right now. The way it works is by converting points with specified attributes and creating a volume representation.

Currently only points are supported and not all attributes are actively used. The noise implementation is a pretty simple one for testing purposes. Curves and meshes are on the list for wisps but for now, I'm still building the toolset so it'll be while.

I've attached a vid and a hip file with the dll. I've only compiled the windows version for 11.0.658.

Cheers,

Ron

volume_plugin_and_hipfile.zip

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies.

I'm currently redesigning the library so that it's generic enough for CUDA implementation.

Sometimes I wish I had more time off for my personal projects...

Good stuff! are you still in Van, if so lets do lunch next week.

Pablo, you shouldn't have time to type in this forum at all :) one more week right?

Sure thing Georg. I'll be in Vancouver till the end of June.

Cheers,

Ron

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

So it's been a while and I apologize for making people wait but the plugin has matured slowly due to a very busy production schedule.

I've still managed to add quite a few features and split the whole thing into a volume modeling suite comprised of the following plugins:

fillWithClouds: uses points to instance volume clouds.

fillWithWisps: uses points to instance children points of the original points.

fillWithSurfaceWisps: uses quad meshes to instance children points on the surface.

fillWithCurves: uses input curves to fill the volume.

These are all using a custom Perlin noise with roughness set to 0.5 and no more than 4 octaves.

These are still in beta but I've made a compilation video showing them all. Enjoy.

PS: I used ffmpeg so some images are stretched because they were flipbooked at different resolutions.

Cheers,

Ron

volume_tests.avi

Edited by rony
  • Like 1

Thanks for the comments. Here's 2 additions to the plugins:

fillWithCurves which uses a curve primitive with Normals and an up vector and generates a volume. The tornado is basically static curves with noise offset.

and fillWithWisps which scatters points around every input point.

These are the first tests with some new tests of the other plugins:

• 2 weeks later...