Search objects?

Hello,

little question, has houdini some search engine, in tree view or somewhere. Say i have imported scene, lot of objects lot of different groups, and have 3 materials. I know that some group objects start wirh say bridge_box_$F can i select not manualy this objects? Maya has something like this if I remember, very useful. Will help me a lot with material assingment.

Another question. Is there hide selected, unhide last, or some objects isolate for wievport, but the are not hide. Groups are good but they works different at each level.

Thanks BC.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot, but ctrl+f works only in one level. I cant select all objects with this name in different levels, but I have a lot of levels(groups) from fbx. Any idea?

Put this in the Python source editor (from the Windows menu) and click accept. Then in a Python shell type hou.session.printSearch('box') to see all the nodes in the scene that start with box. Or use whatever term you want instead of box.

def printSearch(term):
    for n in hou.node('/').allSubChildren():
        if n.name().startswith(term):
            print n.path()

There are other string methods in Python if you want to check other criteria instead of what the string starts with. Instead of printing the path you could do whatever else you wanted with each node like rename them or move them, etc.

Edited by lukeiamyourfather

when importing FBX you can un-check Import Null Nodes as Subnets

but even though you have several levels you can use:

1. Smart Bundles which allow you to type pattern so if you type like: */bridge_box_* ^*/bridge_box_*/*

then the bundle will contain all bridge_box_* objects

or you can use

2. Parameter Spreadsheet and to OP Mask write the same pattern as stated above:*/bridge_box_* ^*/bridge_box_*/*

and to Parm Mask you can write like: shop_materialpath

to expose that parameter on all filtered objects to change material or any parameter for all of them at once

(or just use Op Mask: */bridge_box_*

and set filter to Any Object instead of No filtering)

3. the same pattern can be used in Tree View as filter

Edited by anim

• 3 weeks later...

Perfect, thanks a lot guys. Very useful. I have another little question abou Hou interface.

I import fbx model and want to select some objects and add say facetSOP to each individualy. I dont want to merge it all together. I found in create in context Keep original objects, which will create new object and use object merge and leave all geo as it is but I dont need this. For each object is create individualy FacetSOT. It is possible?

Why I cant in Tree View select multiple objects and sort groups as I want, like in Maya Outliner? Is there some possibility?

Thanks a lot. Bc.