Creating a Water Canon Effect....

crash0283

Hey Guys

I'm trying to create a water canon effect similar to this:

Check out 1:45

I was wondering what is the best way to approach this?

Thanks

Chris

Depends on detail you need to get.

I would suggest using points with sop solver or pops, maybe mesh core part of that stream or just render points.

For mist you might use either sprites or volumes.

Hey Albert

Thanks for the reply!! Yeah, I'm using POP's and that seems to be working really nicely. I did mesh the core, but it looked sloppy and unrealistic. I think with this fine of spray, POP's is the way to go, but maybe taking your advice and use volumes to create a finer mist. Thanks again!!

Chris

In this state we don't see static water surface that is why it might look strange and unrealistic and that is why slomo videos are like from other planet ;)

In 'particle fluid surface' you could add streaching based on velocity and render with proper motion blur.

But i think that rendered points with motion blur should do the trick in most of the cases

Edited by tmdag

I'd agree that using millions of points rather than a particle fluid surface is the way to go; it's more a jittered, fuzzy stream effect than an actual visible surface like you would get from a low-velocity garden hose. I've used smaller, turbulent particles and sprites both for mist in the past, but fluids could be useful as well, depending on the scene scale.

hello,

I have a more basic question but still related.

I'm trying to have my particle velocity follow the normal of a geometry.

using the hose/water cannon as an example, I'm creating a grid and emitting particles from it, but when I set the velocity in the popnetwork's source, the particle just shoot up and don't change if I rotate the grid.

I guess I need to connect the velocity with the normal, but no idea where or how to do it.

any help would be appreciated.

post-7368-13215555677_thumb.jpg

post-7368-132155557462_thumb.jpg

normal_velocity.hipnc