How to create a NURBS rectangle in Houdini?

magneto

Do I have to use the Circle SOP? That's what I did and it works when the divisions are set to 4, but when I switch it to 4, it makes the shape round/circular. I want to have something like this (CV Curve from Max):

nebzth.png

They yellow points are control vertices (CVs), so it actually has 4 points.

Edited by magneto

How to create a NURBS rectangle in Houdini?

> make a rectangular polygon

> append a convertSOP node

....set its 'convert to' = nurbs curve

....set its 'u order' = 2

i use this method often when nurbs tools are appropriate for certain operations

then convert them back to poly-state .

.cheers

> make a rectangular polygon

> append a convertSOP node

....set its 'convert to' = nurbs curve

....set its 'u order' = 2

i use this method often when nurbs tools are appropriate for certain operations

then convert them back to poly-state .

.cheers

Thanks man, I will give this a try. But this conversion turns the polygon into a shape? I always thought polygons get triangulated and become a mess after converting to nurbs.

well there is always the ancient art of changing the NURBS CV's weight via the pointSOP.... kinda creepy after working with polys so long but that is what it is supposed to do.

Thanks, I will try this. Will the Point SOP only receive CVs from a CV NURBS shape?

Thanks man, I will give this a try. But this conversion turns the polygon into a shape? I always thought polygons get triangulated and become a mess after converting to nurbs.

No I don't think so - this will create a nurb CURVE as opposed to a nurbs Surface. Also, you could create a 4 pt Curve object, polygon CVs, close it, convert to Nurbs order 2, then add a refine SOP to add the in between points (or alternately a resample, but I think refine works better here). Set the refine sop to work from 0 to 1 in U. If you play with that you should be able to get the points you want, then convert to nurb curve, with order 4 for nice curves? I think this would work.