Is there a way to hide the default VEX controls?

magneto

I am talking about the 3 controls that are added to a VEX operator called "number of threads", "edit vex function", "reload vex function".

I tried this:

#pragma hint vex_numthreads invisible
#pragma hint vex_edit invisible

also:

#pragma hint vex_numthreads hidden
#pragma hint vex_edit hidden

but it returns a "bad pragma instruction" error.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I like them :) I was just thinking if I were to expose my operator to an artist, then the threading stuff wouldn't be something they use I think or need to see.

I actually tried the subnet as a test but doing that makes some of the pragmas redundant. So I need to come up with a good convention.

I am talking about the 3 controls that are added to a VEX operator called "number of threads", "edit vex function", "reload vex function".

I tried this:

#pragma hint vex_numthreads invisible
#pragma hint vex_edit invisible

also:

#pragma hint vex_numthreads hidden
#pragma hint vex_edit hidden

but it returns a "bad pragma instruction" error.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

This is one of the main reasons I prefer to use an Inline VOP and do all the parameter stuff using a Parameter VOP.

Dealing with pragmas is a nightmare.

I was just thinking if I were to expose my operator to an artist, then the threading stuff wouldn't be something they use I think or need to see.

not having the option only limits our options at source.

You ever used any of this in production and tried fixing your crashing operator without access to the threading option?

@lisux: Unfortunately I found out that VEX is missing some UI functionality that works using VOPs. Pragma join does not work for menus, but Parameter VOPs allow this. I filed a bug but they said it's by design. IMO VEX should have all VOPs have and more, as I thought it was a superset of VOPs.

@rdg: What problem is this? If it's a threading error introduced by the author of the operator, then it's his fault anyway and he should be fixing it.

• Like 1

@lisux: Unfortunately I found out that VEX is missing some UI functionality that works using VOPs. Pragma join does not work for menus, but Parameter VOPs allow this. I filed a bug but they said it's by design. IMO VEX should have all VOPs have and more, as I thought it was a superset of VOPs.

@rdg: What problem is this? If it's a threading error introduced by the author of the operator, then it's his fault anyway and he should be fixing it.

That's why lisux said you should use an Inline VOP for your code and build parameters with regular VOP nodes.

Houdini users should be smart enough to enable/disable/set threads. One of the beautiful things about this is that we should't build black boxes, grey perhaps, but not black and users should be able to manipulate or extend the insides.

@Erik: I know but I don't want a limitation like this to dictate the development environment for a new operator. So I am not gonna use align the menus of course.

@Macha, I agree, but 100+ artists (Max & Maya) I support daily as part of my job shows that more than most are not.

Houdini users should be smart enough to enable/disable/set threads. One of the beautiful things about this is that we should't build black boxes, grey perhaps, but not black and users should be able to manipulate or extend the insides.

Well it depens of the situation.

If you are building a general tool for the studio I agree it could be a grey box.

If a tool for a specific task in a project I am a big fan of super black boxes.

Dont take me wrong, I dont trust users :)