h12: 100 mio points test

0rr

Looks amazing. I would be interested to know what algorithm you used to generate your points cloud :)

Just a mention of it is enough if it's not a secret.

It's fairly easy and definitely not a secrete. It's just the chaos game algorithm using linear and non linear transformations. My implementation uses a naiv multithreaded approach. I have a paper somewhere with a better approach but I would have to look for it. If I'll have the time I'll finish it and share it. If you ever want to get started with the hdk give it a try it's easy to understand and gives nice results.

Edited by 0rr
  • Like 1

Thanks man, I am definitely interested in the HDK. I will look up the game algorithm and see if I can make something similar just for HDK exposure :)

Btw your website is mind-blowing. I will be visiting it frequently :)

Edited by magneto

Thanks for the hint. The actual render is a little bigger but also very noisy maybe the geometry filter width can help to reduce that. One problem I had was while rendering the points alone the memory mantra used was pretty okay ... but as soon as I added the wires and the discs mantra used way more memory. Any Idea what was causing this? I should have rendered them in an separate pass anyway, if at all.

No, it doesn't make sense to me if it's suspiciously larger in memory with the wires and disks. If I were you, I'd log it as a bug or a query with SESI if you have the time?