h12: 100 mio points test

0rr

hi,

just recompiled some old hdk plugin which generates fancy point clouds.

h12 generated 100mio points around 1-2 minutes ram usage was around 4gigs (only P and Cd attributes).

here's a result with some additonal stuff and dof renderd in mantra :).

test2.jpg

WoW!

I don't know what it is, but I like it very much!

Could you explain better how you obtained that?

Did you use some fractals formula? Was it just random? Particles in a fluid simulation?

As usual, if you can share! :)

It was the first plug-in I did just to get familiar with the hdk. It's basically the chaos game algorithm with some linear and non linear transformations. Point generation is now pretty fast with h12.

Here's what it looks like inside of Houdini:

post-4062-133079574927_thumb.jpg

That looks really cool :)

Now you're rendering points, do you know about the new vm_geometryfilter property? It's another thing not in the Whats New, but search for "Geometry Filter Width" on this page: http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini12.0/props/mantra.

It will clamp sub-pixel point prims and curve prims and decrease opacity instead. It can help get smoother render with a lower number of samples - at a price, of course, but it could be worth it!

That looks really cool :)

Now you're rendering points, do you know about the new vm_geometryfilter property? It's another thing not in the Whats New, but search for "Geometry Filter Width" on this page: http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini12.0/props/mantra.

It will clamp sub-pixel point prims and curve prims and decrease opacity instead. It can help get smoother render with a lower number of samples - at a price, of course, but it could be worth it!

Thanks for the hint. The actual render is a little bigger but also very noisy maybe the geometry filter width can help to reduce that. One problem I had was while rendering the points alone the memory mantra used was pretty okay ... but as soon as I added the wires and the discs mantra used way more memory. Any Idea what was causing this? I should have rendered them in an separate pass anyway, if at all.

Edited by 0rr