HOT interaction with static geometry

Naeem

Hi,

I am using HOT to create an effect such as

I have the waves setup using a combination of SOP and VOPSOP and the shader + foam + crest particles using mineigenval as source. However, I can't figure out how to get the ocean to interact with the static geometry. I tried searching around and couldn't really understand much.

Anyone have any ideas on how to proceed or any example files?

Thanks.

Naeem.

A simple approach is to write out bgeo's of the ocean patch...(so you dont have to cook the ocean every frame).

Read them back into your work file then isolate the portions of water intersecting your static geo.

You can then use this data to create an emitter for particles.

Edited by plan9

A simple approach is to write out bgeo's of the ocean patch...(so you dont have to cook the ocean every frame).

Read them back into your work file then isolate the portions of water intersecting your static geo.

You can then use this data to create an emitter for particles.

Hi,

Thanks, but creating particles isn't really a problem since I used Cookie SOP to subtract the geo from the ocean grid and used Crease as my particle source. However, I want the ocean deformation to look more realistic in the areas where it comes in contact with the geo; similar to the video I posted above. So basically when a wave hits the surface of the geo, it should move in the opposite direction.

Naeem.

Hi,

Thanks, but creating particles isn't really a problem since I used Cookie SOP to subtract the geo from the ocean grid and used Crease as my particle source. However, I want the ocean deformation to look more realistic in the areas where it comes in contact with the geo; similar to the video I posted above. So basically when a wave hits the surface of the geo, it should move in the opposite direction.

Naeem.

I see.

Its not a trivial problem... Something like this perhaps?

Edited by plan9

Unfortunately, as Plan9 says, it's not a trivial problem to solve.

Perhaps you could bake out the initial HOT geometry and then do a customized Ripple Solver solution around the rocks to blend back into that.

It will be tricky/difficult regardless of how you go about it - perhaps Macha would give you some tips if you asked him very nicely on those vimeo videos? :)

Unfortunately, as Plan9 says, it's not a trivial problem to solve.

Perhaps you could bake out the initial HOT geometry and then do a customized Ripple Solver solution around the rocks to blend back into that.

It will be tricky/difficult regardless of how you go about it - perhaps Macha would give you some tips if you asked him very nicely on those vimeo videos? :)

Hi Rye,

Thanks. I have asked Macha and I am waiting for him to reply. For the time being I am looking at FLIP fluids and trying to get something similar using that. Even though it's a lot slower, the interaction that I am getting is quite acceptable.

Naeem.

For this kind of effect you are better of using FLIP than HOT. If it was a moving object like a ship or something you could use the ripple solver or implement wave particles to create wakes so that it looks as the waves are returning.

http://jerrytessendorf.blogspot.se/2011/10/interactive-water-surfaces-jerry.html

EDIT2:

Forgot about Obstacle Mattes. It's in this file:

http://jerrytessendorf.blogspot.se/2011/10/simulation-of-interactive-surface-waves.html

Edited by Erik_JE