FLIP crashes

Dusmus

Hello there,

I have a problem with FLIP sims in 12.5.376. I get a lot of crashes when launching flip sims (interactively or not). I'm using a basic shelf tool (flip tank) with just a sphere rising from the ground.

Everytime I crank the resolution up a bit (to around 2mil particles), houdini crashes after a few frames, sometimes at the start of the sim or in the middle of it.

I'm using a 150*150m container with a particle sep of 0.5. I have a rather good workstation (24g ram) but I suspect the problem to come from my computer. Tried on both Ubuntu and Windows 8.

As anyone ever encountered this kind of problem ? I believe the FLIP solver to be much more robust than this.

(I've attached a scene in case someone wants to take a look at it).

Many thanks !

Steve

**edit** : sorry luke forgot the file, and yeah 64 bits.

test_highScale.hipnc

Edited by Dusmus

The scene works fine for me, so it is probably your computer. What graphics card do you have? If you have an Nvidia gaming card, it could be your driver. Use 306.97 or earlier, or 319 and later. However if this is the case, Houdini should crash in a matter of seconds after opening it - so it probably isn't the problem, but I'm just throwing it in here.

I'd suspect a graphics card problem as well. One easy thing to try is just sim the particles to disk using the Export To File tab on /obj/fluidtank_fluid/import_fluidtank. This takes drawing out of the picture and will let you know if it's a problem with the FLIP solver itself. For what it's worth, FLIP solver crashes are pretty rare (famous last words), while graphics card glitches, unfortunately, are not.

Good idea, thanks guys I'm gonna try to update my driver (got a geforce gtx 460). One thing weird tho is that I'm just simulating a much larger flip sim (20+ mil particles) without issues.

I'm suspecting the crash to occur because the object is coming underneath the container ..

Wait and see!

Hey guys,

Just for info I found what was the problem. Put all my memory sticks through a memtest and it appears that one of them returned a lot of errors. Removed it and everything is fine for now.

Thanks for the help anyway ;)

Cheers