Export cloud rig to maya

mrcain

Do you mean the volume field and associated shader? I don't think that's going to work. Why would you need it in Maya? You're going to have an easier time exporting stuff from Maya into Houdini, using it as a mask and rendering it that way than getting volumes from Houdini into Maya (if that's even possible).

In my opinion the cloud rig depends on too many things in Houdini to be of any use in another application like Maya. You'd basically have to rewrite 99% of it in Maya to make use of the data. You could get just the volume information to Maya with OpenVDB but it wouldn't be very useful compared to all the bells and whistles provided in Houdini (cloud light node, volume shaders, procedural noise, etc.). If you can just render the clouds in Houdini and save yourself the headache.

EDIT: Maybe not, I can't find anything on Maya for OpenVDB. Another format to consider is Field3D which has third party plugin for Maya.

Edited by lukeiamyourfather