Open SubDiv to be in "Houdini 13 and beyond"

abvfx

Guest mantragora

Wall•E would not have been possible to animate and work with without Subdiv and creasing.

Complexity of parts and their bevels was much higher than any other lead character had been before for Pixar.

Hmm...ok. How about NO? Am I missing something here? :)

Opps forgot the link, cheers Marty.

Mantragora: I used to do a lot of hard surface modelling. I can believe this statement quite easily as the amount of raw polys needed to describe a surface especially for inefficient features as bevel would be so heavy. Yea it is no problem for a still but i can understand it could bring a production to its knees.

Guest mantragora

Yeah, but I'm looking at Wall*e right now and I don't see this complexity they are talking about. I got system from 2008 that handles much more complex model without any problems, rigged and moving model. I think in this example it's all marketing bulls*it.

Edited by mantragora

is the shelve "solid" new?

opensubd_houdini.jpg

Yeah the solid shelf seems new to me. Not sure what to expect from it though.

It's interesting that they would have a separate parameter for "Display as Subdivision in Viewport", would it not make sense to use the "Polygon as Subdivision" toggle that's already on the geometry node? Maybe it will change in the public release.

I guess this is only a viewport thing, but what if SOPs could operate on the limit surface instead of the cage mesh. A simple example would be a coarse grid with a mountain SOP that you could accurately scatter points on without having to use a normal subdivide SOP. Less primitives, faster interaction.

Quick judging from the screenshot I hope that there will be Isoline display of the SubD´s and not Cage only. Meaning it sure is awesome with all the high-performance GPU-acceleration but it would also help having an easy and visually appealing way of editing points on a higher level that has the edges of the 'cage' conform to the shape of the subds. And preferably have Catmull Clark scheme for Quads/Ngons and Loop Scheme for Triangles.