Houdini 7?

anakin78z

30 members have voted

1. 1. Houdini 7?

• Sweet, can't wait!
    • Cool, one or two features I've been waiting for.
    • Not different enough from 6.
    • Stop stalling and give us dynamics!

So, Houdini 6.5 is now graduating to 7.0 and a feature list has been released. Lots of interface improvements, some cool new features for animation, but no dynamics yet (again). Personally I think it's cool stuff, but not enough to warrant a major release. How do YOU feel about it?

I wanted to vote for more than one of them. There are definitely some cool new features in there, but not enought to warrant a full version release (IMHO anyway). But then again, I haven't played with it yet, so I shouldn't judge too soon. Even VOPS only warranted a .5 release.

As for the dynamics I'm both excited and annoyed. Annoyed that its taken so long, and it is still going to take long (probably more so now). But excited that it is actually being worked on an (God willing) we will actually have a usable RBD and cloth system eventually.

Lets hope sooner rather than later.

Ciao

Marc

I'm really looking forward to Takes. And Network Boxes. Heck, all of it!

Its hard to change ones mind that 7.0 was going to be the huge Dynamic package, but I suppose Side Effects want to put a stake in the ground right now to mark the huge amount of development done to make Houdini fully character-capable.

I wonder if the OpenEXR support in 7.0 will support Deep Raster too now?

Seeing as how 6.5 never came to fruition really, I guess 7.0 has enough features to justify a major release. Haven't tried it yet, but the animation takes and Renderman features I think sound pretty huge, especially when you consider that Houdini is geared at production and not trying to be everything to every user. Would like to see dynamics really soon, I mean like really soon, but i think this is a great release and I'm sure when Houdini's dynamics come along we'll be doing things that were previously unthinkable in any off the shelf software without them. Another year and we probably won't have much want for new features... maybe integrated paint, then what? integrated video and sound editors? Eventually you might not have to leave Houdini to do anything.

version creep? :)

i think one essential thing is some kind of translucency/SSS in mantra, even a fake solution. (ive had no luck getting Simon's working, maybe im missing something).

anyway its good to see frequent releases, thanks for that, its great =)

version creep? :)

i think one essential thing is some kind of translucency/SSS in mantra, even a fake solution. (ive had no luck getting Simon's working, maybe im missing something).

anyway its good to see frequent releases, thanks for that, its great =)

Yeah, I'm really rooting for a lot of enhancement to Mantra in the future, particularly in relation to GI/SSS and such. Major irradiance cache improvement and access could really help with all this stuff.