Open Cl error on pyro solver

Hey every one..im trying to use open cl functionality in the pyro solver but im getting this error 

OpenCL Exception: Could not create OpenCL device of type (HOUDINI_OCL_DEVICETYPE): CPU on platform vendor (HOUDINI_OCL_VENDOR): Intel® Corporation (-6)
OpenCL Exception: clFinish (-36)
OpenCL Exception: Failed to create compute grid. (-4)
OpenCL Exception: clCreateProgramWithSource (-34)
OpenCL Exception: clFinish (-36)

im using dell precision mobile workstation with k4000m quadro nvidia gpu on win 7 64bit v

can anyone help me pls

post-10328-0-82279500-1393927689_thumb.p

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
1 hour ago, vfxhound said:

Hello, I get the same errors trying to use openCL on my Geforce GTX 1080. Can anyone please tell me how to solve this?

Can you post your opencl info from the About Houdini menu, and, the error you are receiving. Also the driver version.

Hi Marty, thanks a lot for taking the time to look at my problem.

Here's the opencl info:

OpenCL Platform           NVIDIA CUDA
Platform Vendor           NVIDIA Corporation
Platform Version          OpenCL 1.2 CUDA 8.0.0
OpenCL Device             GeForce GTX 1080
OpenCL Type               GPU
Device Version            OpenCL 1.2 CUDA
Frequency                 1835 MHz
Compute Units             20
Device Address Bits       64
Global Memory             8192 MB
Max Allocation            2048 MB
Global Cache              320 KB
Max Constant Args         9
Max Constant Size         64 KB
Local Mem Size            48 KB
2D Image Support          16384x32768
3D Image Support          16384x16384x16384

OpenCL Platform Extensions:
   cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics
   cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics
   cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics
   cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics
   cl_khr_fp64
   cl_khr_byte_addressable_store
   cl_khr_icd
   cl_khr_gl_sharing
   cl_nv_compiler_options
   cl_nv_device_attribute_query
   cl_nv_pragma_unroll
   cl_nv_d3d10_sharing
   cl_khr_d3d10_sharing
   cl_nv_d3d11_sharing
   cl_nv_copy_opts

OpenCL Device Extensions:
   cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics
   cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics
   cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics
   cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics
   cl_khr_fp64
   cl_khr_byte_addressable_store
   cl_khr_icd
   cl_khr_gl_sharing
   cl_nv_compiler_options
   cl_nv_device_attribute_query
   cl_nv_pragma_unroll
   cl_nv_d3d10_sharing
   cl_khr_d3d10_sharing
   cl_nv_d3d11_sharing
   cl_nv_copy_opts

======================================

This is my driver version: 21.21.13.7633 (from the device manager, right?)

======================================

This is the error I'm receiving:

OpenCL Exception: clEnqueueNDRangeKernel (-4)
OpenCL Context error: CL_MEM_OBJECT_ALLOCATION_FAILURE error executing CL_COMMAND_NDRANGE_KERNEL on GeForce GTX 1080 (Device 0).

=======================================

These errors only happen when I increase the sim resolution too high.

I'm on Windows 10 64x  and using Houdini 15.5

Thanks again Marty for your time!

I just get out right crashes with no message when using OpenCL with FLIP. OpenCL is kind of a pipe dream IMHO. It gives you the illusion that you get some acceleration but under heavy load it never holds up. It can help speed up the dev of a sim in the early stages but whenever I try to crank out a final version of a sim at a higher resolution, with OpenCL enabled, I get failure.

I don't think it is my hardware setup either. I can render under full load for several days with Redshift using 100% of my GPU without crashes. When I try an overnight export with OpenCL enabled I only get a few hundred frames before the system hangs or crashes. Houdini only uses about 30% load on the GPU so I don't think heat or power are the culprit, just an old fashion memory leak bug that has not been squashed.

Edited by Atom
  • Like 1

Not sure where do you monitor your VRAM but still sounds like it's reaching the limit. Try with a little bigger voxels and see if it works (bet it does). For me OpenCL is faster, but when I reach the final look I turn off OpenCL because VRAM is not limitless and I don't want my few hours sim to fail because of that.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Atom said:

I just get out right crashes with no message when using OpenCL with FLIP. OpenCL is kind of a pipe dream IMHO. It gives you the illusion that you get some acceleration but under heavy load it never holds up. It can help speed up the dev of a sim in the early stages but whenever I try to crank out a final version of a sim at a higher resolution, with OpenCL enabled, I get failure.

I don't think it is my hardware setup either. I can render under full load for several days with Redshift using 100% of my GPU without crashes. When I try an overnight export with OpenCL enabled I only get a few hundred frames before the system hangs or crashes. Houdini only uses about 30% load on the GPU so I don't think heat or power are the culprit, just an old fashion memory leak bug that has not been squashed.

I guess like you said it's best to use it at the early stages to develop the sim and iterate faster. But yeah, higher res seems to always crash/run out of memory.

48 minutes ago, sasho78 said:

Not sure where do you monitor your VRAM but still sounds like it's reaching the limit. Try with a little bigger voxels and see if it works (bet it does). For me OpenCL is faster, but when I reach the final look I turn off OpenCL because VRAM is not limitless and I don't want my few hours sim to fail because of that.

I monitor it using GPU-Z. And yeah seems to be running out of memory. That doesn't happen in lower res sims. Thanks for your help!

Edited by vfxhound

3 hours ago, Atom said:

To test the memory leak hypothesis - you can run OpenCL in CPU mode to see if it still fails. The Redshift comparison is irrelevant.

The Redshift comparison is to indicate that my system can run under full GPU load for days without crashing. OpenCL uses the GPU just like Redshift. I just conducted the same test with an overnight export of my waterfall with OpenCL, on the FLIP Solver, turned off. No crash and all my frames were exported. The night before it failed with OpenCL turned on.

So that sums it up, there is a bug in Houdini's 15.5.673 OpenCL acceleration code. It does not work with large data sets.

Edited by Atom

6 hours ago, Atom said:

So that sums it up, there is a bug in Houdini's 15.5.673 OpenCL acceleration code. It does not work with large data sets.

Until you test with OpenCL CPU you are simply confirming that you are running out of GPU Ram.  We have run tests using OpenCL CPU up to 64GB. What is a large dataset in your opinion?

10 hours ago, Atom said:

The Redshift comparison is to indicate that my system can run under full GPU load for days without crashing. OpenCL uses the GPU just like Redshift. I just conducted the same test with an overnight export of my waterfall with OpenCL, on the FLIP Solver, turned off. No crash and all my frames were exported. The night before it failed with OpenCL turned on.

Redshift uses CUDA, not OpenCL, and it can offload assets from GPU memory on demand (out-of-core rendering), meanwhile Pyro OpenCL can't. This comparison is meaningless. It's not a bug, but limitation.