What version of Houdini do you use?

MG

36 members have voted

1. 1. What version of Houdini do you use?

• 4.0.x
    • 4.1.x
    • 5.0.x
    • 5.5.x
    • 6.0.x
    • 6.5.x
    • 7.x (beta [?])

All I can say is that I hate Windoze. I can't alway afford to be in Linux, so I'm more or less forced to use 5.5 mostly. (Since that's the only version that works for me).

well i am using 7 in windows XP no sweat. but i am having licensing trouble in Linux but i always have licensing trouble in Linux :angry::blink::angry:

I so far have now got mail between SUSE and XP dual monitors working mozilla fire fox working happily my instant messaging sorted.

I haven't sorted out grub so i am only in Linux at the moment or licensing with Houdini so I cant find out if the open GL is working for Houdini. It has passed the unreal 2004 demo test but that dosent mean much to Houdini.

We have all the versions of Houdini running smoothly on Windows 2000 and RedHat Linux.; there should be no problem unless you have a rare/badly supported video card. We ran in IRIX too, but those machines are all dreadful now (Indigo2 Extreme's and a few Octanes) and the nightmare of making sure all our plugins are constantly compiled for it is ridiculous.

Move up to 7! Or 6.5 at least! The difference is night and day from 5.5. Even just to get the viewport handles to be a thousand times more usuable makes the transition worth it.

We're currently using 6.5 in production but do experiment around with 7 for a couple more weeks until it gets closer to release.

H7 works under linux, too. DOesn't it?

That's what I said, in Linux every version of Houdini worked so far. I just can't afford to be in Linux all the time (since I rely on crappy Windoze software for school etc.)

We have all the versions of Houdini running smoothly on Windows 2000 and RedHat Linux.; there should be no problem  unless you have a rare/badly supported video card.  We ran in IRIX too, but those machines are all dreadful now (Indigo2 Extreme's and a few Octanes) and the nightmare of making sure all our plugins are constantly compiled for it is ridiculous.

Move up to 7!  Or 6.5 at least! The difference is night and day from 5.5. Even just to get the viewport handles to be a thousand times more usuable makes the transition worth it.

We're currently using 6.5 in production but do experiment around with 7 for a couple more weeks until it gets closer to release.

I know the difference, I've installed 6.5 as soon as I could get my hands on it (in Linux that is). Worked perfectly, but like I said in my earlier post... I unfortunately can't be in Linux so much (due to school, since I have to use mostly Windoze stuff).

As for me videocard, it's a GeForce4 Go (laptop model). Heh, it works okay but it doesn't seem to support those modern "real-time"/hardware shaders (* while my brother's GeForce3 does *) and Houdini crashes with it.

EDIT: I tried various drivers (even older ones). Environment variables. Only Houdini 5.5.230 works without problems under Win2K.

Hey, I just tried Houdini 7.0.99. Works greatly in Win2K for me! (Without crashing, as of yet).

Maybe SESI saw my previous mailinglist and posts on their forum :P

I just can't afford to be in Linux all the time (since I rely on crappy Windoze software for school etc.)

Oh, yes, how I hope for Houdini on OS X for the same reason...

Dragos

I don't really like Macs either, lol

Argh, it's crashing again.

When it crashes I have to restart Windoze to be able to even restart Houdini, till it crashes again.

EDIT: I finally think I know what's causing it... Today when I was at work, when my USB hub was unhooked (since I always leave it at home), Houdini 7.0.99 didn't crash once. I think the scanner, tablet or whatever else is hooked up to it might be causing it.

I don't really like Macs either, lol

He he , I really do. :D

I really don't mean to start a platform war, but IMHO Macs make a lot of sense as a content creation platform (Houdini included). Surely more than Sun Solaris.

Just a personal opinion.

Dragos

I dunno. I'm kinda liking Macs lately too. Not for the eye candy, but I'm hating Windows more and more and I feel like getting my hardware to work with Linux is a real crapshoot sometimes. Right now my computer is running Linux well but I keep running back to Windows everytime I need to use a tablet. I'm thinking a G5 with Apprentice would be pretty sweet now that they have Nvidia cards... I think my main thing is I don't want to build or maintain computers anymore and I don't want to install Operating Systems anymore. I just want to buy something that works out of the box. I'm lazy. I'd buy a workstation from Boxx or HP but then I'd have to go through all the hassle of replacing Redhat or SuSe or Windows or whatever it is they'd install on it :P

MG, what sort of video card and drivers are you running?

Well in suse i got my tablet working with a few clicks of the gui but i haven't got it mapped to the small size i like, that will take some more experimentation in config files to map it the same way i have it in windows. I rate my Linux knowledge 2 out of 10. I don't know how to fix grub so i can't boot into windows yet. Houdini's licensing. Well i have had 3 distros and i have has it working for 5 min. :(

Linux is not idiot prof, i am living proof. although i have gotten further in suse than any other distro.

i think its an age thing - as you get older you just want stuff to work and not have to stuff around making it work =) i really like gentoo but i just cant be arsed getting it setup, whereas i would have thought about it as a challenge in the past :)

I'm using Houdini 6.1.206 on Windows XP and Gentoo Linux. Version 6.5 and 7.0 was too buggy for me. I also need the online help which does not happen to work properly in the new version.

Meshsmooth:

I rate my Linux knowledge 2 out of 10. I don't know how to fix grub so i can't boot into windows yet. Houdini's licensing. Well i have had 3 distros and i have has it working for 5 min.  :(

If Windows in on your first partition, first hard drive (/dev/hda1) try adding this to the bottom of the grub file:

vi /boot/grub/grub.conf

title=Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

Perry

if only it was that simple

i know from my last grub file that worked (that i didn't make)

from what i remember i need to rename the windows partitions so they are in a different order, the order that windows is expecting them to be in and then boot the disk by the name that Linux knows it by.

Unless the solution includes some renaming it probably wont work. But that is the extent of what i know.

#EDIT#

I found out what needed to be added to my boot loader to make it work and I am posting it here to make shore that I will have it in future :P

title Windows

map (hd0) (hd1)

map (hd1) (hd0)

rootnoverify (hd1,0)

makeactive

chainloader +1