The Bug is Dead, Long Live the Bug (H13.0.X)

Guest tar

This is an area to flatten the few remaining bugs with H13.0.X. Please post in here anything that doesn't work properly for you in H13 and it'll be hammered out.

We are kicking off the celebrations by ghostbusting a viewport spectre, and, there is an automatic swap to handle mode from view mode.

Current test systems are Linux Mint, OsX 10.9, Amd and Nvidia. Will add a Windows version too if needed. Please post your system specs, Houdini version if relevent to your bug.

Thanks!

N.B The Topic Title is reference to the never ending bug cycle ;)

magneto
For the auto-handle 'bug' doesn't Houdini record the which tool, either Handle or View tool you were in at the geometry and scene level?

I.e. if you create a sphere, dive inside and switch to handle tool, then jump back to Scene level, change to view tool. When you jump back into the sphere the Handle tool will appear automatically. Is that the 'bug'?

Thanks!

Edited by tar

Thanks Marty, Yes that does it. Basically if I am in the view tool, it shouldn't change it back to handle tool. It should only change if the user explicitly does so IMO. Or there should be a setting for this.

Although support said that it shouldn't change it I think, just couldn't reproduce it. I will send it your case then.

I.e. if you create a sphere, dive inside and switch to handle tool, then jump back to Scene level, change to view tool. When you jump back into the sphere the Handle tool will appear automatically. Is that the 'bug'?

The current tool at each OBJ/SOP/etc level is supposed to be recorded. The "Handle" tool can actually be any number of tools, like PolyExtrude, Transform, etc.So that's behaving as I would have expected.

why Windows isn´t in the test systems?

Which Windows specific bug do you need tested?

Generally Houdini issues are platform agnostic, Linux gets all the extra features that OsX misses out, but the real reason is the windows partition is the first to go when I'm testing hd raids etc ;). It can be reinstalled if the need arises.

Question for mawi & LaidlawFX, and anyone seeing the viewport ghost.  

What does it look like? gray/grey, template wire frame or is it full geo.  Thanks!

The current tool at each OBJ/SOP/etc level is supposed to be recorded. The "Handle" tool can actually be any number of tools, like PolyExtrude, Transform, etc.So that's behaving as I would have expected.

I didn't know this was the case. I still remember the tool handle being switched automatically when diving down multiple times. But maybe it was switched when I was adding new DOP nodes.

Is it saved in the scene file?

An option to have 1 global tool would be nice IMO.

Question for mawi & LaidlawFX, and anyone seeing the viewport ghost.  

What does it look like? gray/grey, template wire frame or is it full geo.  Thanks!

It's been full geo for me every time, but I guess it could be whatever is in the viewport when something goes awry somewhere..

Can someone please test this. Stuck viewport wireframe tested on Linux^OsX /AMD, OsX/Nvidia - H13.0.409

1.    Set viewport to Smooth Wire Shaded
2.    Create Sphere and set to Nurbs
3.    Dive inside sphere and create a null and set display flag on it
4.    select sphere node and set display flag on it
5.    set display flag on null and make sure the sphere node is selected
6.    press 'w' over viewport to switch to wireframe
7.    tumble viewport a little.
8.    press 'w' to switch back to Smooth Wire Shaded
9.    Dive back to Scene level by pressing 'u'
10.    Turn off display flag of sphere
11.    Wireframe should be stuck

post-8321-0-23348600-1400033426_thumb.pn

Edited by tar

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone please test this, stuck geo in viewport.

1. Create an Ocean Waves from the Ocean FX shelf

2. Go to Render Tab and render

3. jump back to scene level and select nodes and delete

4. geo should be stuck. see screenshot.

Tested on OsX 10.9.3 & Linux , H 13.0.422 & 409, AMD 7950 / GL 2&3 viewport

Thanks!

post-8321-0-58996900-1400924844_thumb.pn

Edited by tar

Do you want to test in linux? I wanted to try in win7, but what's the render tab? Object node's render tab? If so, then what's render? A button? :) Or do you mean render? Not sure if you meant using the render node already created or something else.

Cool as. Windows test would've good. Linux already tested and it happens there.

The Render Pane tab, or Ipr renderer, thanks!

Edited by tar