Sand blowing over sand dunes

xtremeDave

Hi!

I will create some examples, but they will most probably contain only the basic part of the solver without detach conditions, as I have to build everything from scratch. I hope that I will find some time next weekend, but I can`t promise anything.

when you say , (the same time you can search for closest drivers and get some part of their velocities) , do you mean point cloud approach ?

Exactly, this approach is based entirely on pointclouds.

Hi Pavel,

Nice work mate, thanks for the hip file , 

and guys as we are at the end of short listing Fx artists , we will reply shortly regarding the job !

And we are recruiting Character animators as well , so send in your cv`s 

Best ,

Dave

• 2 months later...

This is the basic implementation of the sand upres solver. Keep in mind that you can implement much more features as initial offsets from target center so points will maintain their positions and wont merge together, dynamic detach of targets based on velocity changes, etc. This version won`t work well for fast moving base sim, as targets positions are taken based on distance from the points.

Thanks for sharing, really nice techniques!

I'd like to see what will happen if combined this technique with flip simulation! :)

• 3 years later...
On 6/13/2014 at 3:48 AM, MENOZ said:

Hello, I did the blowing sand setup for the trailer, I can't explain in detail how was it done, but from houdini side it was pyro + particle advection, many different passes.

There was also a pass, quite heavy in terms of sim, of turbulent-swirling -ground level sand.

A triky part I would pay attention to is the turbulence created at the edge of the dune wich is probably sucking in all the sand. I would use some air fields or collision modelling to control.

There were lots of other artists that created this piece and lots of work was done to bring the final images. Each shot had its own challenges, it wasn't certainly a one-go solution.

anyway, I would use real life references, not cg.

hope this helps a bit! other users here at od force already told you all you need to know to get the desired effect, so not much to add really.

Great work! Very inspiring indeed