Iceberg shader

Hi, I hope this is the right place to post this.

I'm working on an ice / snow shader for an iceberg cliff. I am a beginner, so the shader is still very simple, it's just a surface model and some displ noise. I've played with the SSS, refl and refract settings a bit, and tried my hands at some noise, but its still a looong way from looking realistic. I really hope you guys can help me with this!

This is where I'm at right now (sorry for all the big pictures): 

wOzwFfj.jpg

lOOmK9r.jpg

wireframe (the model still needs some more work): 

O4LFOQt.png

network:

xtp00vD.png

And this is the look I'm actually going for (shader wise). 

hXyTjJA.jpg H7v5n2l.jpg

Y325rzt.jpg

The goal is hopefully to have a realistic looking iceberg shader. To help other beginners, it would be nice to have a hip file at the end, complete with notes and explainations, so everyone can learn from it.

I'm including the scene file (without HDRI, it was too big), so definitely feel free to have a go at it! :) I hope you guys like the initiative and contribute some of your vast knowledge  ;)

Iceshader_v001.zip

Cheers!

Edited by MorhafMehena
  • Like 3

Just my artistic 2 cents. But it looks like to me that you have the glacier its self down well and good. Though, it looks like naked ice. I would think that you might want a thin layer of bright and opaque snow, maybe normal in Y based? I'm reminded of the snow shader in Maya which had a Y falloff. I'm specifically looking at the 2nd reference image .

Just my artistic 2 cents. But it looks like to me that you have the glacier its self down well and good. Though, it looks like naked ice. I would think that you might want a thin layer of bright and opaque snow, maybe normal in Y based? I'm reminded of the snow shader in Maya which had a Y falloff. I'm specifically looking at the 2nd reference image .

You're absolutely right! I started out with a snow shader, but it looked horrible,so I tried the ice first. It's time to give the snow shader another try!