OctaneRender for Houdini development preview

juanjgon

Can't wait to try it out, looks awesome! Only thing I miss is volume/VDB support, but I guess Octane will get there in due time :)

That's why Deep passes would be good - you could in theory render volumes in Mantra and surfaces in Octane. 

Skybar: are you finding path tracing fast with Octane? Direct lighting and ambient occlusion seem pretty good, but indirect passes are not as impressive so far. Tested on Gtx980

• 2 weeks later...

The new features of Octane 3, that will be available in the Houdini plugin along this year, after the initial release this summer :)

-Juanjo

Nice - also just checking that all platforms will be supported? i.e. OsX Windows and Linux. As the other plug-ins of Octane seem to only support a subset of platforms. i.e. Maya is Windows only, Blender is Windows  Linux.

https://render.otoy.com/downloads.php

Thanks!

I am very interested, specially since the look dev process is the key factor that is missing and this may happen in a variety of systems, from OS X to Linux to Windows.

Look forward to see how things move forward

jb

I want to support all the platforms. The initial release is being tested on Windows x64, but later I will compile the plugin for Linux and OSX if there is any user interested on it.

-Juanjo

• 3 weeks later...

I´m not an Octane user (one of my workmates is), but given the instance node is just a Geometry node that renders points with the point instance attribute added to them (from now on GNTRPWTPIAATT), the incoming question is obvious:

does it work with GNTRPWTPIAATTs instead of an Instance node?  :)

Edited by Netvudu

Currently the Octane instancing is only enabled inside the "instance" operator type node, but of course I am open to extend the instancing functionality if it is needed in production and there is no way to use the "instance" node ;)

-Juanjo

• 2 weeks later...