Gradient Des

mjL

I'm hoping someone can help me out with creating a gradient descent algorithm in VOPs (it might not be possible?). 

I've be trying to reverse engineer this - https://vimeo.com/60606152 which is done with Rhino. I can get as far as the point where you need to push the points back to the surface (timecode 2:49 in the video). They do this using a surface CP node (which as far as I can tell imports the vectors for the nurbs surface?). Is the there an equivalent way of doing this in VOPs or am I going about it in the wrong way? Any help will be much appreciated. 

Thank you, 
Mark

GradDescent_01.hip

I'm hoping someone can help me out with creating a gradient descent algorithm in VOPs (it might not be possible?). 

I've be trying to reverse engineer this - https://vimeo.com/60606152 which is done with Rhino. I can get as far as the point where you need to push the points back to the surface (timecode 2:49 in the video). They do this using a surface CP node (which as far as I can tell imports the vectors for the nurbs surface?). Is the there an equivalent way of doing this in VOPs or am I going about it in the wrong way? Any help will be much appreciated. 

Thank you, 

Mark 

it´s fairly easy to do in houdini. the attached file should help.

hth.

petz

GradDescent_02.hipnc

• Like 2

Thanks guys, really helpful.

Petz - more advanced than I understand but it'll give me a good reason to brush up on my VEX in order to implement the rotation part like in the example video.

Thanks again

Wow Petz!!

Nice technique!!
But why this vector?  (-@N.z, 0, @N.x), I mean were did you find this nice vector shuffle to help derive the gradient with N?

Thank you!!

--Edit--

Ahh ok, I get it!! Its the result of a cross between N and an up vector like (0, 1, 0). Sorry for the dumb question!!

Edited by Pazuzu