Basic Glass Fill

Tom

I havent realy used Flips in houdini, so i have this realy basic problem....

So I have set up this scene from shelf tools, and it seems i cant figure out how to make a basic glass fill with fluid, it just dosnt fill up, it seems like particles are been deleted....

I have attached my test/example scene.

I hope someone can explain me why its not working. 

Thanks in advance, 

Tom

glass_fill_basic.hipnc

Edited by Tom

In your AutoDopNetwork, on your static object (glass_maya) you need to change Collision/Bullet Data from a convex Hull Object to a Concave one.

Tick the Show Guide Geometry to check, you'll see that a convex collision object will cap your glass and prevent anything to fall inside.

Thanks for the idea Anthony.

But that didnt work either. It works only if the thickness of the collision object is increased (also the volume collision works properly then)

I'm just wondering why the colision are not working even when the collision volumes are looking good,  for thin objects.

I have updated the scene.  (it might be useful for others)

I added POP Wind for air resistance, to make it more stable (so the water wont shoot out of the glass lika a rocket :D ), is this is a good practice on how to make the FLIPs "stable" ?

This is how it looks now:

a8WEnbl.gif

glass_fill_basic_v2.hipnc

Edited by Tom

But that didnt work either. It works only if the thickness of the collision object is increased (also the volume collision works properly then)

I'm just wondering why the colision are not working even when the collision volumes are looking good,  for thin objects.

That volume gets copied into the Flip simulations Collision Field. Depending on the resolution you are working with, the resulting Collision Field might be full of holes or even be empty. It's a good practice to first make sure your collision volume looks good, but then you also need to check what that collision looks like in the Collision Field. 

The easiest is, as you probably noticed, make your object bigger. It will then fill more voxels. But you can also increase the resolution of your flip sim. Or you can increase the resolution of only the Collision Field itself while keeping the rest as is (called Collision Separation I believe). 

• 2 years later...
On 2/19/2015 at 0:15 AM, Tom said:

I have updated the scene.  (it might be useful for others)

I added POP Wind for air resistance, to make it more stable (so the water wont shoot out of the glass lika a rocket :D ), is this is a good practice on how to make the FLIPs "stable" ?

This is how it looks now:

a8WEnbl.gif

glass_fill_basic_v2.hipnc

why not "pop drag"