Could anyone tell me more about Derivative?

MG

Derivate claims to have developed several elements, in their Touch software, which are also seen in Houdini. Or am I seeying this all wrong?

I have read in their company info that they are a new company that has spun-off SESI. And then I see a list of all big names that worked on PRISMS and Houdini, such as Greg Hermanovic!

I mean, what is going on here? Do I sense something similair to what happened between LightWave and project:messiah?

So could anyone explain me what's going between these two companies?

Hi Calosus

Derivative is most definitely a spin off from SESI. Greg Hermanovic was one of the original partners at SESI, and he left to pursue his passion of realtime visuals :) (ie generating visuals that go along with music. He used to run the El Kabong parties at SIGGRAPH).

Hence Touch101 has alot of elements of Houdini, ie its driven in a large part by CHOPS... although having never used it I can't say much more than that ;)

First of all, I have to thank you all for taking your time to reply. I was, sort of, being "pushy". Forgive me for that :( (I thought nobody noticed the thread).

I read over at El Kabong and Derivative that they, still, use Houdini. But you said it's strictly real-time? Speaking of it. Houdini is capable of that aswell, or isn't it?

Anyways, I must say though that the real-time visuals look pretty nice! At least, judging from the examples I seen on the El Kabong and Derivative sites. (I never been to such a party, nor SIGGRAPH. I would like to go there so much though! :( )

well i actually had the chance to beta test the touch designer program. i used to be pretty involved in the whole realtime visuals realm. however i just haven't had the time recently to further pursue it.

i wouldn't say it is houdini. it has the similiar houdini functionality(same interface, colors, buttons, locations, etc..) however, i would liken the similarities between houdini and touch designer as to that of one video game using anothers 3d engine. they have the same underlying base, but the derivative programs are all strictly geared towards realtime graphics. touch designer has a really beefed up CHOP editor. it has huge support for midi and other external triggers to control your chops. it also allows users to control values through physical mixing boards. as well, the audio tools are also greater increased.

download the demo and check it out. there are some cool people over at derivative.

mC

well i actually had the chance to beta test the touch designer program. i used to be pretty involved in the whole realtime visuals realm. however i just haven't had the time recently to further pursue it.

i wouldn't say it is houdini. it has the similiar houdini functionality(same interface, colors, buttons, locations, etc..) however, i would liken the similarities between houdini and touch designer as to that of one video game using anothers 3d engine. they have the same underlying base, but the derivative programs are all strictly geared towards realtime graphics. touch designer has a really beefed up CHOP editor. it has huge support for midi and other external triggers to control your chops. it also allows users to control values through physical mixing boards. as well, the audio tools are also greater increased.

download the demo and check it out. there are some cool people over at derivative.

mC

Wow, that sure sounds pretty cool!

I already downloaded TouchPlayer, which is quite impressive itselve already. I might download TouchDesigner pretty soon.