Skinwrap

meshsmooth

yeah...in Maya they call it a Wrap Deformer...I did a show once and all out characters had a high-res mesh Wraped onto a deforming low-res mesh...it has it's uses but, at least in my experience, it was dog slow - it looks like in that demo max is caching it for playback...not sure - didn't watch it with sound....

yeah...in Maya they call it a Wrap Deformer...I did a show once and all out characters had a high-res mesh Wraped onto a deforming low-res mesh...it has it's uses but, at least in my experience, it was dog slow - it looks like in that demo max is caching it for playback...not sure - didn't watch it with sound....

14453[/snapback]

The cloth banner thing is very easily done with very high quality using the CreepSOP. High because it'll use the NURBS surface for deformation and not just the points with influence radii.

It seems like the Max thing uses the points of the deforming mesh with radii for their influence over the high-res geometry. This is done quite effectively using the second input of the LatticeSOP. The LatticeSOP does allow per-point radii to be set (and you can use expressions involving the local variable $PT in it now), but there is no one-click pretty view of the point weights. A little SkinWrap HDA could probably be built in a few minutes if you want similar controls to be presented. (Robert? Simon?)

The cloth bit should isn't that hard I would think. The extrusions on cloth could be crept on the cloth then deformed with the deforming cloth. The character

interaction could be done with other deformers based on the characters postion. Magnet, inflate, bulge...

The character skin thing, you will get with the attribTransferSOP. That SOP has been used more then anyone thought it would when it came out.

You can transfer capture weights, textures coordinates, anything really.

We just don't have little movies showing users what you can do with the package

The reason why it can be fast is that it really does look just like Points Mode in the Lattice SOP (PMLS). In Maya terms, I think that's really much closer to making each point in the low res geometry a cluster. In Houdini, the PMLS can probably be made much faster if we separated it out into two sops ala WireCapture/WireDeform.

Nothing a Cache SOP couldn't solve.

14490[/snapback]

I love Houdini, everything is basically there already: just a matter if being creative and implementing it. Or am I talking nonsense now? :P

No, that's about the size of it.

Why not use the wire capture/deform combo. Nothing to say the wire can't visit every point in the model. Just use an add sop to make one long line first then use this to capture your hi-res model. I used the same idea for my soft ray sop on exchange.

Interesting idea, Simon. I had some vague that it might be possible to leverage them but didn't realize how. It might be tricky to do that though as with a single wire, you won't be able to have overlapping influences.

The video had nice per point influence editing though and I wish we had more time to work on the WireCapture system to have influence painting.

I wish we had more time to work on the WireCapture system to have influence painting.

14545[/snapback]

Can't you just say. "Hey, guys this really needs influence painting and the ablity to talk to regular capture weighting. We should really do that now to make it top notch."

-k

Can't you just say. "Hey, guys this really needs influence painting and the ablity to talk to regular capture weighting. We should really do that now to make it top notch."

-k

14548[/snapback]

Why not start a poll with the most most wanted character features?

14548[/snapback]

Which "guys" are you talking about in particular? :) .... I just do what I'm told. :P

I guess all this might become very important when DOPs turn up, low res cows bouncing around and sliding down low res cloth and then the low res solution deforming the high res cows and cloth.....  :rolleyes:

14616[/snapback]

I remember a classmate of mine doing the Wrap Deformer in Maya to use low-res polymodel to drive a high res cloth. I remember that it was a nightmare... especially toward the end of the school term. But, then again, that was couple years back... things may have changed now.