Expand A Circular Selection?

Hi All,

I am attempting to model with nodes and I am stuck on how to expand a selection that resides in a ring. If this were a straight line I could simply scale the Y axis of the group by a value to increase the height of the selection. Because it is in a circle I can not use that technique and I am not sure how to proceed?

ap_select_center_faces_of_ring.hipnc

post-12295-0-09681800-1434503286_thumb.j

Edited by Atom

You can revolve a rectangle made from a circle and use that angle to select points using the Group SOP's bounding object option or write some VEX code to convert point positions to angles and add them to a group based on that:

L0O9V3d.png

Edited by magneto

Ah, thanks for the image. It inspired me to approach the modeling slightly differently. But using 4 circles I can vary the radii of the circles to control where the edge loops appear, thus I don't need to scale the faces because I have skinned it correctly to begin with. I can still get the selection using the spherical bounding method too. The first group selects the two inner face loops and the second group, in subtract mode, removes the inner face loop leaving only the center.

post-12295-0-76198900-1434550981_thumb.j

I tried your way as well and it only seems to work for points. When I switch the Group node to Primitives, I don't get any selection? 

post-12295-0-89373400-1434552561_thumb.j

As I look at the image in the post I now see that the drop down clearly says "Points Only". I guess face selection is not supported using external bounding objects.

Is there a node that can convert a point selection to a primitive selection?

ap_center_faces_circular_selection.hipnc

Edited by Atom
  • Like 1