Houdini 16 Wishlist

1. Get boundingBox function in hou.GeometrySelection

2. Get boundingBox of geometry by pattern. hou.Geometry.pointsListBoundingBox() or any other... Or maybe pointgroupavg hscript expression function. Like pointavg, but with group argument.

3. Set\Get handle options (position, orientation etc) in simple python way.

Edited by Alexey Vanzhula

Guest mantragora

Nahhh, I would prefer access to rotation. Why it's not available is beyond me.

Than I could pass it to next tool and continue working oriented correctly.

Edited by fântastîque Mântragorîè
  • Like 1

Guest mantragora

But it's all there! We need only access to those. I asked similar question month or two ago for HDK. Data is not a part of the SOP and is not exposed so no possibility to transfer it in easy way.

In 2008 or 9 I was modeling in Houdini and each time I wanted to have handle oriented correctly I had to open handle parameters and copy field by field, because of course RMB+copy wasn't working there.

Edited by fântastîque Mântragorîè

I think you should have access this information, however I would hate to see this getting passed along with the gdp. I love the simplicity of one noodle flowing from node to node, and if you need any data that was used in generating the detail, get it as a channel. If more information gets passed along, eventually we'll end up with way more connections, and we might end up with a graph like maya's which i mostly consider a read only view on the scene ( kind of like houdini's 3d viewport ;-) )

Cheers,

koen

Guest mantragora

Well, I thought about passing it as a second output, not with main geometry. So I could use it not only for actual gdp but also in other parts of the graph.

it'd be nice if houdini was a bit swifter about avoiding obvious crashes -- particularly when changing sop parms that unhide/enable the settings you need to adjust to avoid crashing.  like volume where you can't adjust the division size until you select the "divide by size" option which defaults to very small division (if you're in cm scale) and blows up before you have a chance to cancel it.  or scatter when you turn off the "specify # of points" option to engage the density multiplier option which then tries to calculate 300 bazillion points.

inherently, it would be nice to recognize that you're changing your methodology and it might produce bad results.  perhaps if it detected default values it could ask if you wanted to fill in values that would be reasonable for the current geo when first switching to these alternate calculation methods.

anyway, i'm writing this as i wait for my machine to either crash or houdini to finish whatever it's doing with my scatter sop.  sadly on windows, i can't just send it a signal and recover my crash file.

inherently, it would be nice to recognize that you're changing your methodology and it might produce bad results.  perhaps if it detected default values it could ask if you wanted to fill in values that would be reasonable for the current geo when first switching to these alternate calculation methods.

I'm wondering if there is a way to allocate all but one CPU core to processing FX, like IPR Mantra, then perhaps the user interrupts could be better intercepted when we see Houdini going crazy. 

yeah, perhaps a more generally responsive interrupt would be good.  in linux, you've got a safety net with signals, but on windows... no such luck.  my houdini session eventually bombed and failed to write out a crash file.  it also ended up f'ing up my explorer and required a full reboot, tho that's more a windows problem.

yeah, i had pulled off the max points thing in scatter before switching the scatter method.  i should have known better, but it was one of those things where you put down a new node and start hitting buttons and then lament the fact that you didn't save right before you threw down this new node.

here's a thought: make the "max points" toggle disabled along with the density multiplier.  i mean, it's only really applicable in that scatter method, so in keeping with their philosophy of hiding/disabling the parms that aren't applicable to the current settings, it should really be disabled.

Or Thea render :) It is good unbiased(biased) that use GPU. Imho it is more modern than kerkethea and many of other unbiased-like renderers

1954_Airstream-56-1200-1000-100.jpg

Thea Render, one of my favourite (and least known) pieces of software. Beats the likes of Octane IMHO. A plugin would be great, or even just a simple camera exporter.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

it will be great if houdini 16 has:

1. ready Studio Production MORPHING FX tool on DOP and also on SOP, with geometry, fluid, or pyro level.

2. CONTENT BROWSER Sample Scene for HOUDINI with thumbnail image, similiarity with C4D content browser, so the new user can learn by the template fx on that content, and the experienced user can save the time by used this template in the content browser

and hope list of the content browser was ready production scene like  == Simulation FX Scene(fluid, pyro, particle, cloud, morphing fx, etc) , Render Scene, Character Scene, crowd scene and etc.

3. stabil houdini engine to support all atrribute transfered into other 3d package

4. rent license like adobe or autodesk

5. going to asia, like indonesia to grow the user.

thanks.