Adding Primitives

freespark

Hello all,

Very quick question. I have a 2D character that I texture mapped the front of with a drawing that I did. But, now I want to texture map his backside but don't have primitives in the back of him to put the drawing of his backside texture map on. Is there a quick way to add the same amount of primitives that I have on his front side to his back side? Thanks in advance.

Nevins Duret

Not quite I understand there. Are you in SOPs? Assuming you have some 3D geometry that is simply flat on one plane, then you can try to Duplicate (SOP) the geometry and specify an output group. Then add a Reverse SOP on the output group to flip their normals. You might want to offset your Duplicate a teeny bit though so that the primitives don't overlap.

Also not sure what you mean, but you could use the group sop and ground faces by normal direction and then create a front facing group - "Front". Use the "combine tab" and do "Back = ! Front". These 2 groups could be textured seperately using a Shader SOP.

Hello Jason,

I tried your approach, but had no success. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong. Is there an example that you can show me to see how you resolved it. The duplicate SOP seems to do exactly what it says but it splits the two into seperate primitives. I think you are on the right track.

Nevins Duret

Hello Guys,

Yes, Betty's suggestion is really good. It was one of my first resolutions to this. But, because I bricker divided the 2D plane prior to extrusion, when I start to make my character's joint move and I render, you see the geometry below the texture map when it is rendered. And, I don't like that very much. Anyone, have any suggestions on how to smooth them out?

Nevins Duret

Hello Dante,

Please, don't laugh this is a concept for a character that I'm doing for a friend of mine. The area in the circles indicate where I went wrong with the extrude sop. I used the facet sop and the smooth sop so far but none seems to get rid of the geometry's buckling.

Nevins Duret

post-19-1032538994.jpg

freespark

maybe you should go with nurbs, this way you will avoid such a probelm. not too sure as to what exactly you seem to be doing, but i get the idea you want to have the model displace in 3D ( as in lose it's flatness - which seems to be the problem ). the other thing is the model looks simple enough so maybe you should just model it in 3D and texture it...but i guess this is exactly what you don't want to do.

Nevins,

I don't 100% exactly know what you're trying to achieve either. I will do my best in helping you out though!

My suggestions:

Firstly...

1) Have you used an EdgeCusp SOP? or did you turn off Shading > Smooth Shading? (in the OBJ level of that what you made so far).

If this doesn't work out, you should maybe consider this:

2) You should try turning on the feature Rendering > Geometry: Polygons as Subdivision Surfaces (in the OBJ level).

Like Betty said...

3) You could try using NURBS instead. For example, set up a (NURBS) grid. Then apply your texture (?) to it. Now, in order to get the shape, you can either trim it or alpha-map away what you won't be needing. I think alpha-mapping is better when you're going to animate it (especially when you're going to use more than one texture file).

I hope this will work for you. Anyways, good luck! :D