GDDR5 or DDR3 GPU?

cgvirus

• 2 weeks later...

Also, 2GB is the minimum if you're not running multiple monitors or very high-res monitors. Two QHD (2560x1440) or a 4K (UHD) monitor requires more VRAM (4GB or above is safe) simply due to the large framebuffer requirements for those setups - they eat VRAM for breakfast.

If you run multiple Houdini sessions that the same time, you also might feel a bit constrained by 2GB.

• Like 1

I took the risk...Toms Hardware suggested 1 GB DDR5 will make the buffer size smoothly transported....And it's kind of true. I was comparing high scale ocean sim and 2GB was lower in the performance. Thankfully my store dealer was humble to make this happen. :P I have taken GDDR5 1 GB. Working smoothly with 8 million particles till now...:) 

DDR3 just has a lower bandwidth than GDDR5, but it's also more power efficient and less expensive, which is why a lot of the mid-to-low end cards feature DDR3. It also helps keep them within the 75W the PCI-Express slot provides to avoid external connectors, or in this case allows for twice the amount of memory in the same power envelope.