Water dripping

mosssi

Hi guys

I'm trying to simulate a dripping effect like the attached photo but my object is a sphere which doesn't have a concave surface and it can't hold water. So do you know a way that I can emit flip from the wet surface of the sphere in the way that look likes it is drying for few seconds? I tried emitting Flip from object but it emits from a SDF and its nothing like this dripping.

post-14228-0-16538400-1456966131_thumb.j

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also very interested in this. I have been trying to set up a scene which allows fluid to drip down the sides of an object and then form into droplets on the underside. However, as an absolute beginner in Houdini I'm not sure about how to approach this.

It seems that by default liquid does not properly stick to surfaces realistically. Presumably this is because most of Houdini's default settings are intended for larger scale simulations?
I have been experimenting with "stick on collision", surface tension and viscosity but can't seem to get a convincing result.

I spent a lot of time searching around the internet but haven't had much success in finding relevant content. If any of you more experienced users could shed some light or point us in the right direction it would be highly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
19 minutes ago, vijayakumar said:

U can try scattering points onto the geometry and directly call into source volume(source flip). then slow down the nearby particles on surface of the sphere.. check if this method works and let me know.

spheredripping.rar

Oh, that's cool. Really cool. Exchanged the sphere for a torus, added some rotation, just to see how it would handle a more complex object and movement - and it did, brilliantly. 

So yeah, an awesome setup. A much appreciated share for sure.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2016 at 4:53 PM, vijayakumar said:

U can try scattering points onto the geometry and directly call into source volume(source flip). then slow down the nearby particles on surface of the sphere.. check if this method works and let me know.

spheredripping.rar

Is this setup using all the nodes inside? I see mypoints used for the SOP Solver, etc but there is no mypoints. Are these nodes not used?

It would be nice if the scene was cleaned up from unused nodes.

4 hours ago, magneto said:

Is this setup using all the nodes inside? I see mypoints used for the SOP Solver, etc but there is no mypoints. Are these nodes not used?

It would be nice if the scene was cleaned up from unused nodes.

mypoints is the name for geometry points where dist attribute is calculated. In gas particle to field  the geometry we want to process is specified.. so in this case its mypoints. Please take a look at the gas particles to field node.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vijayakumar said:

mypoints is the name for geometry points where dist attribute is calculated. In gas particle to field  the geometry we want to process is specified.. so in this case its mypoints. Please take a look at the gas particles to field node.

Thanks, I checked it but I don't see mypoints group created in SOPs or in DOPs and I inspected the Geometry in the DOP and still don't see any mypoints group.

If you dive inside sopsolver in the middle of the simulation, you will see that dop_geometry node still has 0 points. I disabled the sopsolver and the result looks the same.

Can anyone verify this please?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, magneto said:

Thanks, I checked it but I don't see mypoints group created in SOPs or in DOPs and I inspected the Geometry in the DOP and still don't see any mypoints group.

If you dive inside sopsolver in the middle of the simulation, you will see that dop_geometry node still has 0 points. I disabled the sopsolver and the result looks the same.

Can anyone verify this please?

Hi magneto,

you were correct. it was not reading the points since it is connected to vel volume. sorry..i should have converted into fields and then read the dist..wanted to make it fluid slow near the sphere.. but the vel as a whole got slowed down it seems. il check into it and update the file. thanks.

• Like 1