Ground Collapse

carlo_c

Hey guys just wanted to share my latest personal project that I finished.

My aim with this one was to challenge myself to complete a shot that incorporates RBD, particles and smoke. Inspired by the awesome ground collapse shot in the halo 5 teaser trailer, I tried to do something similar in scale. All h15, rendered in Mantra and comped in fusion.

Any comments or crit is much appreciated, thanks for reading and watching hopefully!

Edited by carlo_c
  • Like 1

Thanks Atom! The shaky cam is a sneaky post shake and the "shockwave" is a displace node in fusion which gave me a warped version of the shot. Then I just animated a radial mask outwards.

I tried to do something in houdini with particles to begin with for the shockwave but in the end I liked the effect in post much more. Less sim time and rendering too!

good job, I like overall feeling of it.

if you want to know some suggestions, I would say that dust shouldn't dissipate at the end of the shot. it would hang in the air for much longer. dust color and lighting seem to be not matching perfectly to the background plate color (should be more red and exposed up). shadows on the ground should be darker as the huge mass of the dust wouldn't let much light through. I think you are also missing some more detail in the volume although I totally understand that available hardware resources may be very limiting :) speaking about crack itself, I'd say it would help to break up the edges a lot more. Straight edges make it feel a bit like a concrete or ice or something.

great effort anyway! keep it up. how long were you working on it? how long sim times? how much memory does it eat up? D.

Sim times were not too bad, the large smoke plume did not take longer than a day to sim on my machine but rendering took a while. I think there is more detail in the sim than I managed to get in the render, I only learnt you could reshape the look post sim with the pyro shader a couple of weeks ago and I had already rendered most of the smoke out by then!

It all rendered on my home machine which is pretty modest: xeon e3 with 16gb ram. The smoke was the slowest, peak frame render times were an hour. I'm sure it could have been sped up with better settings than mine.

I was working on it when I could in my spare time in the evenings and weekends over feb/March.

Thanks for the feedback David, I will see if I can get the smoke colour and plate to match better in comp! I have the shadows as a separate pass so I can definitely make them darker too.

Edited by carlo_c

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...