UV tutorials?

altbighead

sorry

the last thing I want to do is creating new topic but I can't seem to find any UV tutorials .I did some research but UV tutorial links from odforce wiki are

down and couldn't find any .

I want to layout UV for my head model so that i can do some detailing in zbrush. :)

Soulvector has a houdini uv tut here - http://www.soulvector.com/tutorials/houdini/uv101.html.

:)

16400[/snapback]

I hadn't seen that tut before. Nice. For a model like that though, these days I'd use UVPelt to do it. And a quicker/easier way of visualising is the UVQuickShade SOP. There is also the UVUnwrap which textures faces based on orientation automatically, kind of like what he is doing manually. (Perhaps that tut is older than these SOPs)

The way uv's work in Houdini are pretty similar to any other package. Meaning, if you can find a tutorial on how to uvmap something in any other package, it should be easily translatable to houdini.

The one major thing you need to know is that there is a UV viewport (space-5, or ctrl-right click on the viewport). So if you just apply uv's with anything (uvtexture, uvproject, etc.) you can view them in that viewport. Once in that viewport, you can use the uvedit SOP to move your uv's around.

M

I'm still a Houdini newbie myself, but I tried UV mapping one of my old human models in houdini and its a pretty nice set of tools in there. I especialy like the LSCM implementation(UV pelt) which is IMHO best way to start up organic model UV mapping. Also the UVBrush rocks, most impressive mode being the dilate/contract which lets you smoothly rescale UVs for areas that need more pixels in the map, but also other brushing modes rock.

Extremly impressed Apprentice user here.

PS. Too bad I didnt know about Houdini earlier, like when that big contrst was, I would do my best to win ;)

In that respect, anyone know if there will be Apprentice challenge for ver. 8?