HQueue on Linux on NAS!

Albin Ho

Hey Peeps, 

I know this will sound weird but has anyone ever run HQueue on centos on a NAS, such as QNAP TS-253A-4G (see amazon link), it contains a celeron processor with 4GB ram. 

I note from the description of the NAS that it runs ubunto out of the box, but i have seen centos mentioned as being able to run within "container station" a QNAP app.

My setups so far is two i7-4790's both running dual boot windows and centos, with a local houdini install. I would love for them to both become render nodes with HQserver running on the NAS.

I know most people say just run HQserver on one of the nodes but I want the nodes to do just rendering without any overhead from the HQserver, also all of the rendered output

will be stored on the NAS so it makes sense if it can also run the HQserver.  

I don't know the minium specs for the HQserver but if i upgraded the ram on the NAS to 8GB it might be enought to pull this off....

If anyone has any info on the minimum processor/ram for HQserver please let me know, or if anyone has a QNAP NAS that can run linux, please share your expereiences of linux on NAS....

ciao 

Albin HO

The HQueue Server process is lightweight and does not have a lot of hardware requirements. There are no hard-line minimum requirements for the server but a machine with at least 1-2 CPUs and 1-2 Gbs of RAM would be sufficient.

For the Shared Folder Server machine, it is ideal to use a machine with fast I/O hardware (i.e. hard drives, controllers, etc.). During heavy loads, client machines will be making a lot of writes and reads to and from the shared folder.

Note that it is possible to use the same machine to run the HQueue Server and to host the shared folder. For many small farms, this is probably a good idea since it saves on machine resources. However, for larger farms, it is advised to have 2 different machines or else the HQueue Server could be bogged down by heavy I/O traffic from the client machines.

http://archive.sidefx.com/docs/hqueue15.5/help/installation.html

If it supports Ubuntu, that's probably the simplest route to go. It sounds like it should work, but I'd be curious to hear how it goes.

Hope that helps!

Edited by goldleaf
(forgot to add a line!)

• 2 weeks later...

I personally wouldn't mess with the software installation on a NAS. It's just asking for trouble. While the operating system they use is Linux (like almost all NAS on the market) it's a customized distribution of their own making.

https://www.qnap.com/i/useng/qts4/con_show.php?op=showone&cid=1

Getting HQueue to work on it might be a huge PITA depending on what parts of the operating system they've customized. It might also off itself every time there's a system update for the NAS. I think you'd be much better off with a low cost build than trying to kludge HQueue onto a NAS. If you're really on the cheap you could run HQueue from one of these since it's all Python so the architecture doesn't matter. Throw in another $10 for a micro SD card.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-17300

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Lukeiamyourfather,

Sorry for the late reply...

I think you have go the wrong end of the stick?  This particular NAS is a bit more powerful than the standard NAS's out there as it allows you to dual boot into a LINUX operating system when you connect it to a hdmi monitor and mouse/keyboard allowing you to use it as a computer! 

I would not for a second try to install Hqueue on the native firmware of the device(QTS) however QTS allows you to install and run many usefull apps on top of it (plex/dlna/photostation etc).

Thanks for your input anyway...

Albin Ho