Houdini Projects - Deforming character shatter - HIP file included

Neon Junkyard

This is my second installment in a houdini quasi-tutorial series;  this is a setup to pre-shatter and sim a deforming character with accurate shatter deformations, custom rigid body activation, bullet packed primitive RBD setup, and post-sim multi-tile UV setup for greater flexibility.

I will be following up this tutorial with another on how to create a custom shader setup that includes accurate inside displacements, multi-tile UV layered shader setup for separate shaders/displacement for inside and outside pieces, and how to mix true displacement and bump maps together in one setup

Hope some of you find this helpful!

Note- As are most things on the forum, this setup is a result of research and techniques compiled from both personal workflows and development and various techniques found here on the forum and elsewhere  So thank you to everyone who posts here to share workflows and ideas to make these tutorials possible

NJ_character_crumble.hip

Edited by Neon Junkyard
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

holy potatoes!!!!   - i've just found this tutorial now and run through it this lunchtime - wow wow wow - i've been trying to figure out how to do this for soooo long!  thankyou thankyou thankyou!!!  :D

I actually started with a new scene from scratch and followed through (as opposed to simply open your scene and transfer) - took me couple hours to sort of get whats going on in there - there's alot and i'm still scratching my head over much of it heh!

My only prob right now is the pieces of geom that are being created are still kind of 'attached' to the points of the mesh and inheriting motion off the dancing geo character as they seem to move up and down with the character.  I've attached a scene below with a short clip of the dance.  the character does crumble away but its like the pieces are still an active part of the dancing character instead of being pieces that fall to the ground.  i hope you can take a look at my scene below and help i would appreciate it massively :D

forgive me - its a shameless attempt at method studios recent work btw ;)

hou_deforming_char_crumble_v01.zip

oh and its amazing NO-ONE has posted on this thread?!  Is this the sort of thing everyone with hou just finds commonsense and easy to do or nobody interested?  I'm blown away this know-how is for free online so thankyou once again :D

ant
hou noob (hoob?)
nw uk

• 2 weeks later...

A very good post started by Drew! Very nice hip file! I achieved a similar effect in a slightly different way, instead of storing the point animation as a separate variable, I fractured the object first and "point deformed" the fractured object and copied the point velocities to the simulation. Here is the output:

https://vimeo.com/179720318

Sankeerth

• Like 1

Hi can anyone help me with my own scene file above please? I've followed the instructions but strangely the pieces seem to still move with the character even tho they crumble apart. I'm really stuck as to what I did wrong. I included the scene file above.

Thanks!

Ant

39 minutes ago, sankeerthgs said:

Hi Anthony!

I had a look at your file, the reason the pieces seem to be moving with the character is because you haven't turned the deformation to 0 after the pieces turn active like how Mr. Parks did in his file. Have a look at the attached file.

Sankeerth

CharacterDeform.zip

hi Sankeeth I just took a look at the scene file you included there (_corrected.hip) and yep it does indeed seem to be working (I had to plug OUT_PIECES null back into dopnet_BULLET_v1 lol!).
yep i just had a look inside the sopsolver1 node inside the dopnet_BULLET_v1 node and found the attribute wrangle in there with the vex code to turn off deforming - i had no idea that was needed :/  still very much a learner - so much to it but i'm not giving up! 

thank you for your help i really appreciate it  :)

ant

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/23/2016 at 11:52 AM, sankeerthgs said:

A very good post started by Drew! Very nice hip file! I achieved a similar effect in a slightly different way, instead of storing the point animation as a separate variable, I fractured the object first and "point deformed" the fractured object and copied the point velocities to the simulation. Here is the output:

https://vimeo.com/179720318

Sankeerth

How can i copy point velocity to the simulation ? Can you explain a little further, please?

Edited by YePai